The Guide to Overclocking by Or1g1nal

Status
Not open for further replies.

or1g1nal

Baseband Member
The guide to Overclocking by Or1g1nal (STICKY PLZ!!)

(please read whole guide before doing, as you may not understand some parts if you do it as you read)

Key:
Mobo = Motherboard
CPU = Computer Processor
PSU = Power supply
CMOS = Small BIOS memory unit
BIOS = Basic Input Output System

WARNING: If you are not 100% certain you know what you are doing never even open up your computer, nor even think about overclocking.
I take no liability for anything that you say or do in accordance to my guide as problems can occur for other reasons depending on your individual hardware and tools.

Overclocking is the process used to increase the speed your motherboard and processor talk to eachother, it also increases processors MHz speed depending on how high you overclock it.

Why to Overclock it?
Possibly to speed a not so fast computer up to play certain games without lag or to increase the general speed of your computer. If Overclocking is done correctly it can greatly increase you processor spec.

Why not to Overclock it?
Because when a computer is overclocked it works harder than it is meant to, thus heating it up a lot more than un unclocked computer. If you overclock you must be completely sure you have the cooling devices in your computer to handle a processor that has heated up considerably more than recommended. If not cooled correctly can lead to an easily fried processor (not exactly the cheapest part of your computer). A computer processor is not meant to be heated above the recommended 50 degress Celsius for pentium and and between 70 to 90 degrees Celsius for Amd Athlon models depending on the Series.
With all new Cpu's they come with there own heatsink fan which is extremely important for the cpu's survival. Here is a video of what happens to a CPU that is not cooled correctly.
http://www.pantherproducts.co.uk/weblogs/axs/ax.pl?
Computers that are not cooled correctly will either fry or throttle (lower speed to reduce heat i.e. a Pentium4 3.0GHz could go down to even 1.0GHz which is a major loss of computer speed.
If you ever build a pc or overclock a pc that you have a computer thermometer which can be downloaded from a number of computer hardware sites. Also if you purchase many of the new Pro series Asus motherboards for Pentium Processors, they automatically turn off when they sence the computer is overheated too much which is a wonderfull feature to have.
(the reason I have focused on cooling so much here is because it is very important to a computers survival and computers can result in a number of problems if not cooled correctly).

Another reason for not overclocking your computer is because many professionals have made opinions on overclocking saying that in time it can cause damage to your computer anyway even if cooled efficiently and done correctly.

A basic Step by step guide to overclocking by Or1g1nal

(before following my guide find out from your supplier or the internet a realistic clock size for your computer that is safe and is not pushing your CPU too hard, different Processors can overclock to different speeds. Before doing anything too stress filled to your computer i.e. playing games, running certain programs etc it is recommended you install and run this file which will see if your computer is stable at this speed, if unstable return settings to default or reduce to a safe level. This test should be done after computer is overclocked http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm )

(not all motherboards are overclock capable and thus cannot be overclocked at all, before you overclock your system you should read your manual and see if your motherboard is overclock capable.)

1. When you first turn on your computer press Delete straight away which will bring up your computers BIOS (Basic Input Output System) menu where you will need to start the process.
2. Look for a little section of this menu that says CPU speed or Advanced Chipset Features.
3. When you have reached this section you can change raise CPU clock ratio and FSB Frequency to the desired level. Making sure that you are 100% sure that the level of overclock you have chosen is not too high for your CPU and MOBO to handle.
4. I suggest you raise your FSB and CPU settings in step 3 a small amount at a time then run your system and check the tester above to make sure its stable. Then keep raising a little bit at a time taking note of your last amount of increase so that if it is unstable you can restart and you'l know that the last increase is the highest overclock your system is capable of.
5. If for some reason you accidentally raise your FSB and CPU settings to a much higher level than is possible and your computer shuts down and wont turn on don't fret. There is nothing to worry about, because your computer just wont run long enough to fry anything. To restore your computer to its original state you will need to restart your BIOS back to there default settings and starting right back from the beginning of the guide. This is done by reseting the CMOS (a very small piece of memory on the back of your motherboard of which's purpose is to remember your BIOS settings), to do this change the position of your CMOS jumper (a little wire knob on the end of your CMOS) on your mobo and waiting a few minutes for it to reset and then re-placing the jumper in its original position. Some CMOS batteries however don't come with this jumper and a different process is then required. You must turn your computer off (unplug aswell) and remove the CMOS battery completely from your mobo, then turn your computer on again (keep it unplugged but just press the on button anyway), it will then discharge of CMOS memory, though u must still wait a couple of minuter before this will occur. Then plug your computer in again place the battery back in it's original position and start the process again.

Here is my guide to Overclocking I hope it has helped in any of your questions, even though I have this knowledge I choose not to Overlock my system because of potention risks.
If you are unsure of certain parts do not commence overclock and make sure you know what every step means and understand it completely before starting.
If anyone has any suggestions for this guide please send them to me.
This guide was written entirely by me with no help. I encourage you to learn from it.
(I cannot stress enough how important it is that you understand everything before attempting this and the dangers that could happen if not done correctly.)

Thanks for reading my guide
By Or1g1nal
Dan

Yes dude. Very nice. I might consider OCing. After i get these dang heat problems undercontrol. Stupid NW core. lol

Ok i built a new comp with a 2.8ghz intel P4 processor. I got a different HS from the one it came with. I got the Sprak 7+ its a copper heatsink with a 6000 rpm fan. I know that they new cores put out alot of heat. so i had to to. Well i was a dumbass and forgot to get Artic silver thermal compound. So i had to use the crap that came with the HS. Well low and behold it was crap. it was running at 120F on idle. I got my freind to bring me his Artic silver 5 Thermal compound. That solved most of the heat problems. The heat went from 120 in idle to 95ish in idle. So i am wondering why the CPU is jumping to a 110+ when its under load. Cause i have another comp and it doesnt go over 105F underload. But thats only a 2.4ghz interl p4. So im kinda reading up on what i can do to get it down further. I have 4 extra fans. plus the heatsink fan. So im still trying to figure out why the dang thing is heating up so fast so high underload. I've never seen anything like this before.

Its a

Intel P4 2.8 GHZ processor with a Northwood core.

Do you think if i updated my BIOS it would change anything?

try updating your BIOS. Northwood cores are supposed to be pretty cool compared to Prescotts. (prescotts run extremely hot). and make sure your hs/f is seated correctly.

LOL, shall we talk heat.... Let me flashback to a week or so ago...

My SLi reached 93 Celcius, and then BLEW UP! OCing is dangerous, but having a faulty MOBO is even worse.... Nice guide though.

HOLY SHIT dude thats a 193F. You didn't turn on auto shut down in your BIOS i can see. lol

NOPE.... Didn't think the ASUS A8N had such problems. They will fix it, but still.............It was fun to watch until I started to cry....

BIG FIREWORKS!! (The GPUs actually combusted!!!!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom