Having some trouble installing/uninstalling a game

Nimandir

Baseband Member
I'm having trouble installing and also trying to uninstall a game I have on my computer. I went to install it once and in less than a minute, my computer locked up solid. I had to crash my computer and then start it back up again. When I try to uninstall the game, it says this:

"The log file'C\Program Files\Black Isle\Baldur's Gate\Uninstal.isu' is not valid or the data has been corrupted. Uninstallation will not continue."

The disks to the game are new and have no scratches or smudges on them. At first, I suspected heat was the problem because the disks where quite hot when I ejected them. I removed all the components in my computer, clean as much dust as I could, and then put everything back into place. I then set a fan by it to help keep everything cool. Everything inside stays cool now, but the game still will not install.

Next, I tried a Lens cleaner on my disk drive. Still, it will not install. When installing, it will get to around 4-6% and then lock up. It also gives me this message when I start to install:

"unInstaller setup failed to initialize. You may not be able to uninstall this product."

Does anyone have any ideas as to what I should do? Oh, and I'm running Windows 98 on this computer right now.

The problem is the uninstall file. Cause thats the last thing to go in it didn't get to finish. So when you try to remove it its not there and you get an error. If you are skilled you can just remove it from your REG and delete the other game files.

Good luck.

I had a feeling I was going to do that. I've tinkered a bit with it before in the past, so it's not entirely new to me. I'll be sure to backup my registry first.

Well, it worked. It's uninstalled from my computer. However, when I tried to reinstall the game, it locked up at 6% like last time. Stopped on the .bif file, soundfx.bif, or something around that name. Does anyone have any ideas as to why this is happening? They are new disks and I used a CD cleaner to clean the lens.

I remember one game did this. I had to just let it sit. Try a fresh restart. Try defraging. then restart again. Install and let it sit for like 15 min if it locks up. It might just be a big file and it has to read.

Reaper

Back
Top Bottom