Computer not acting like i built it.

Darlien

Baseband Member
I built a brand new computer with a intel p4 2.8ghz processor. But it doesn't seem to be acting like it. It has one 512 FSB is 533. When i turn on the computer it seems like it is taking a while to load up. Its all brand new parts. Its running on a ABIT AS7 mobo. Im wondering if its the bios. Im not sure.

Can someone help with this?

Thanks,

Reaper

are you using this for gaming of just desk-topping? what is your video card? what type of ram do you have?

Ah.. I see your problem.. it is an Intel. Sorry heheh.. AMD is so much better.. it seems your machine may be over-heating. Did you apply enough heat transfer compound when you placed the HSF on the CPU?

Yeah. The comp is brandnew. Its like my moms at night and my personal server during the day. Im thinking i need to get my butt to the store and get some Artic 5 Thermal compound. Its not a gaming comp. Just a little ten person CSS server. You know the ones that lag cause the owner only has a 365/40 line. Yeah those. lol

I have:
Intel P4 2.8ghz processor
Corsair 512 FSB 533 pc3200. x1

Im talking about lag even when nothing is running.

Doesn't matter if it is not a gaming comp or a word processing unit. ;) If you don't have enough arctic 5 heat transfer compound especially on an Intel it will over-heat. I used to have a lag, until I added more heat transfer compound (on my older Barton comp). Additionally, you may want to run utilities because it could also be a software/OS problem. It could possibly be spyware that is using system resources. I suggest Ad-aware and Spybot or something.

Umm. Not sure of te spyware thing being that i just finished it yesterday. Installed Speed fan. I do think it is the compound i used cause i used the one that came with the dam HS. lol. I am retarded. You will see that soon.

Ah okay, spyware is not a problem then. Can you tell me further specifications on the computer? Like hard-drive.

The one that came with the HSF? Yeah that one is below average quality IMHO.

HELL YES. That thermal compound is prolly the worst in the world.

here are the specs:
1x 40 WD HDD standard IDE
1x Lite-On Dual layer DVD burner.
Intel P4 2.8GHZ 533 with l2 cache i beleive.
1x 512 533 FSB PC 3200 corsair ram. DDR 400.
Spark 7 HS. I think thats the name.

Alright i put Artic 5 on the CPu and heatsink. Its running cooler. 93F instead of 120F hahaha

Ah ha! Told you so. 120F.... shoot! :)

And that hard-drive.. seems small.. is it fast? know the RPM and access time?

Back
Top Bottom