Newbie with some questions

RVFmal

Baseband Member
Hi there I am new here and have a few questions pertaining to a number of different areas where there are specific threads for them, but due to the nature of my query I thought it better to ask them here.

First of all I have the following drives installed:

c: (on drive 0) 2.09 GB 268 MB free
d: (on drive 1) 8.43 GB 1.90 GB free
e: (on drive 2) 2.11 GB 814 MB free
f: (on drive 0) 37.91 GB 32.81 GB free

50.54 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
35.79 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE-32X
Generic floppy disk drive (3.5")

Generic IDE hard disk drive (8.43 GB) -- drive 1, No SMART Driver
Generic IDE hard disk drive (2.11 GB) -- drive 2, No SMART Driver
Generic IDE hard disk drive (40.00 GB) -- drive 0, No SMART Driver

I am currently running out of space on my C: drive and have been advised to "repartition" the drive to allocate more space to it (going to use Acronis Disk Directory 9.0). At the same time I am going to be installing MS XP Pro (currently MS 98SE). I currently have 1 x 128MB and 2 x 256MB RAM chips installed, but only 128 is reflecting on each slot as per below:

384 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot '0' has 128 MB
Slot '1' has 128 MB
Slot '2' has 128 MB

Board: MICRO-STAR INTERNATIONAL CO., LTD MS-6119 (i440BX) 1.X
Bus Clock: 100 megahertz
BIOS: Award Software International, Inc. 4.51 PG 08/21/00

350 megahertz Intel Pentium II
32 kilobyte primary memory cache
512 kilobyte secondary memory cache

Now for my questions:

1. Can I upgrade my processor from the PentiumII to a P3 or 4?
2. Can I reallocate D: drive to become C: drive and "unpartition" my 40Gig drive
3. What do I have to change so that all my RAM reflects?
4. I want to install the OS on a seperate drive so that if it corrupts I do not lose all my files folders and have to reinstall my programs. Is this possible as what I have noticed is that even if I install a program to say for instance D: it still installs certain files and folders to C:. Also certain programs do not allow me to install to another drive.

I would really appreciate any help that you may have as I need to fix my PC ASAP as it keeps informing me that I have no space left on C: and this is seriously affecting my work.

Thanking you all in advance.

I cant answer all your questions but heres for some.
You obviously need more space on the drive which has your operating system (C:). So if you dont have anything that is very important on the drive which is next to it (physically) on the HDD (D:) then what i would suggest is just formatting D: and then using a program like Powerquest Partition magic to reallocate the space to the C: drive. This can be done without reinstalling the operating system. If you do have stuff on the D: drive and dont want to reformat the drive then you can use the same program to reallocate the empty space on the drive to the C: drive. This is a bit more of a trcky task to perform (by the program) b/c it has to move partition 1 (D:) over the amount of space you would want to reallocate to C:.

I always have everythign separated on my pc too. One drive for my operating system (I have 3 installed on separate drives), one drive for my programs and four for my files. Like this i reinstall my main operating system once a year and I dont lose any valuable info b/c everything important is on a separate drive. Plus this is very good for avoiding viruses. Oh, and my operating system drive isnt even my c: drive. Good to place it on a different drive too b/c most programs look for C:

Thanks for the reply d-source. Just a few things D and E are seperate drives whilst C and F are one drive that has been partitioned. What I am going to do is switch D and C and use D as my primary drive (i.e. D becomes C). I am currently moving all the files and folders from D to F and will then switch the drives and on start-up install the new OS to D.

Just a question, as I understand your setup, you are installing your programs to a seperate drive so that you can install your OS at any time without the need to reinstall all your programs again. I have tried this yet most of the programs install to C by default even if you have installed the program to say for instance F. When you reinstall your OS do you not then have to reinstall the programs?

In response to ur last question, yes, if you reinstall the operating system you will have to reinstall (most) your programs and should for them to work properly (since most programs add things to the registry for operation). The reason i install my programs on a separate drive as my OS is b/c sometimes u may get a virus or something from one of the programs, therefore u can wipe that drive without affecting the OS drive. I am not sure what programs you are using however, most of the ones if not all, allow me to choose where i would like to install. Whenever i install a program i choose custom install, maybe thats why. A lot of shared files you dont get a choice, but my OS drive really has nothing but OS files and shared program docs, and stuff that programs stick in My docs folder.

Back
Top Bottom