A question about power supply's output

P3t3r

Baseband Member
Hi all, I have a question about power supply's output if anyone has an answer for it. My DSL modem's rating is 12VDC but I lost the power supply to it. My printer has a power supply and it has an output of 30 VDC. I plugged my printer's power supply in and it works. Is this setting ok? Will it destory my modem cause it has too much output on the power supply? Thank you in advance. I posted this on other forums but no one was able to give me an answer. So I posted here and trying my luck. Thanks.

Hehe, I wouldn't of tried that... Apparently it won't kill it, but I could see it getting damaged over time...

It's not too hard to find power supplies... You could even run it from your computers PS if you wanted. it's 12VDC you know ;)

Ah cool. Thanks. What's a ps by the way? Never heard of that term before.

no it wont all the power will run is the maximum of what you put in, it wont damage it not that i no of, i have a stero wire in my ps2 with different voltage, the reason why is i threw my ps2 wire to my friend outside and it landed in his grass which was wet, i thought fook that i aint plugging that in, i was taking my ps2 to my friends house to play LAN/ONLINE with 2 ps2's, i was on my moped getting the things out lol next time ill be carefull,i have had it in the ps2 for at least a year now it aint done nothing anyway best had getting to bed gd night lol.

But the PS2 is just a wire, NOT a trasformer as in this guys case...

Also, it's very uncommon for electronics to mess up from getting wet. Trying to use them and causing them to short out while wet is what messes them up. I've heard of people dropping PDAs in tolets and they worked fine after they dried off, so I'm sure a wire that got a little damp would be fine!

P3t3r said:
Ah cool. Thanks. What's a ps by the way? Never heard of that term before.

PS is Power Supply. Or its sometimes referred to as a PSU or Power Supply Unit.

Thanks for the supplies. My power supply is an AC adpter thingie. One of those big black thingies like the one used on laptop and stuff. Sorry I should have made it more clear. I guess I will use it as long it won't destory my modem. Ac adpter is the same as the power supply you guys were talking about right?

Back
Top Bottom