Computer Spec Recommendations

Luxar

Baseband Member
Hi,
I've recently decided to build my own computer(this will be my first time), and I've got a rough figure of what I want in it. This is what I have at this point:

Case: Antec SX1040BII (includes a 400 watt Smartpower PSU)
Mobo: Asus A8V Deluxe
Video Card: ati Radeon x800 XT Platinum
CPU: AMD Athlon64 FX-55
Sound: Creative Audigy 2 ZS
RAM: Apacer 512mb DDR PC-3200 SDRAM, Samsung chipset (2 of these)
HDD: Western Digital 160gb 7200rpm
DVD-ROM: Dynex 16x DVD-ROM internal
CD-RW: Dynex 52x32x52 Internal CD-RW Drive

as well as a 19" flat-screen monitor, basic keyboard and mouse, and a set of speakers which I already own.

Specifically, I'm looking for any recommendations for cooling and whether my PSU will be able to handle it(if not, what do you recommend?) Also, please note that I am on a mild budget(namely, trying to keep it under $2500).

Thanks in advance,

Luxar

No, PSU needs to be upped. Up it to at least a 500Watt, preferably a 550 or 600. Nothing more then that, unless you think you may be doing major overclocking. Nice parts, but I would go x850XT if you are going ATi, and if not, then go with the nVidia 6800Ultra, since it beats the x800XT (the platitnum gets you nothing special, dump it).

BTW- You will need Thermal Paste/Grease for the CPU mounting. I recommend Zalman for AMDs. They are awesome. Or go liquid, but Zalman should be enough. Use Artic Silver5 Thermal Compund for your thermal grease, and get 2X 120mm fans for great cooling. Get 2X 80mm fans for additional cooling (the cooler it is, the cooler you are with your stress levels worrying about it exploding, and you can bring more performance out of it)

Thanks for the recommendations. Will a TRUE550 psu from antec work? Also, would you have any other recommendations on similar cases(as I won't be needing to spend the extra money on a 400watt psu)?

Thanks for the case recommendation, that's just the sort of thing I was looking for. :)

Oh and one more question: With the added fans that come with the Aspire case you pointed me to, will I need to get any additional fans for my cpu, or should that do it?

why are you getting a cd burner and a dvd drive? just get a dvd burner and do it all with one drive!

I recommend getting a Pioneer 16x Dual Layer DVD Burner (and dump the cd burner and dvd rom since a burner does it all). If it's too much $ for you then I would get an NEC 16X Dual Layer DVD burner. Next, I would switch that ram for 2 sticks of 512mb Corsair XMS ddr400 pc-3200 ram. Then I would prolly wait another few weeks for the SLI boards to come out and then buy either the MSI or Asus SLI board and then get a 6800 ultra. That way you can always upgrade later to another 6800 ultra when they are cheaper and still have awesome graphic power when the new generation of gfx cards comes out.

Back
Top Bottom