Raid

rakedog

Fully Optimized
Can someone explain to me exactly how Raid works? I know that it's a way of connecting multiple hard drives, but what are the adantages of it, will buying 2 hard drives cost more, what should i look for in a mobo to support raid, ect.

Running raid 0 works similiar to the same way DDR ram works, when you install a program it divides the data into both drives, so when you access the data it pulls from two drives as well, which in theory is twice as fast. You can also mirror the drives so that you can create a backup of everything....and I mean everything...including viruses. Yes....you should try raid, its extremely fast when loading large files, or pulling games like far cry off your hdd.

Okay thanks, but how would I set it up? What would i need in a motherboard, and what would I need to set up two 70 gig hard-drives with raid?

Well, I'm planning on buying a computer system, so if that's what I need for RAID, then I can do that.

i'd run sata's. setting up is easy you just put the sata driver on a floppy and put it in when installing xp, and it will load it. the you just enter the raid utility and setup which array you would like to use.

Okay, first off, what is Sata?

and second, what will my motherboard have to have for this to work?

SATA is the "new" ATA. The transfer rates are 155 compared to the ATA's 100 or 133. The cable is smaller, and the plug is too. And for your mobo, you would need 2 or more SATA plugs and a built in RAID controller. If it doesnt have a RAID controller, you can buy a RAID controller card that goes into your PCI slot.

Also, since your thinking of getting a new board and drives, might as well get drives and a board that supports sata with ncq. They say the performance of the drives with ncq exceed the sata 10,000 rpm raptors.

MSI "K8N Neo2 Platinum" NVIDIA nForce3 ULTRA Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU -RETAIL

Specifications:
Supported CPU: Socket 939 AMD Athlon 64FX/64 processor
Chipset: nForce3 ULTRA
RAM: 4x DIMM Supports dual channel DDR266/333/400 Max 4GB
Slots: 1x AGP 4X/8X, 5x PCI
Ports: 2x PS/2, 1x COM, 1x LPT, 8x USB2.0(Rear 4), 1x IEEE1394, 2xRJ45, 1x S/PDIF Out, Audio Ports
IDE: 2x ATA 133 up to 4 Devices
SATA/RAID: 4x SATA RAID with 0,1,0+1
Onboard Audio: ALC850 8-Ch
Onboard LAN: Marvell 88E1111 1000Mbps, Realtek 8110S 1000Mbps
Onboard IEEE1394: 3x ports by VIA 6306
Form Factor: ATX

That's the board that I want to buy. So is that good for a RAID setup?

Back
Top Bottom