Hub or Switch, 2 computers

NVIDIAGAMER1

Baseband Member
Ok, I'm having alittle bit of a dilemma. I've been playing games over LAN all day now, and I plan to continue, but UT2004 get's pretty shitey performance. I have a microsoft hub (5 port, 10/100) and I'm doing 1000 ping right now. I'm just wondering, which will have better performance, and does anyone know any tweaks to get my Network TCP/IP speeds up?

I switch would be the fastest, but I don't think it would make a huge difference between just 2 computers. For the best performace, why not just connect them together with a crossover cable.

Yeah, do a direct connection using a CAT5 cable. They should directly connect that way. You only need a hub if your switch to a printer, or something slow, or a router for 3+ PCs. Do a direct CAT5 connection, that will scream!!

Nuh uh... A router is to connect to the internet. Or, that's what the basic consumer ones are for :p Most real routers only have a port for the internet connection/modem and another port for a switch/hub. However, the tipical consumer one does have a 4+ port switch in it. If you don't connect anything to the WAN port, you basically have another switch.

Hmm, you are right there Other. That would technically be a switch, just a very highspeed one, that would allow for all the computers to also connect to the internet. I dunno, that may be a good option (multiple possiblities)

Back
Top Bottom