xp installation problem

Routers are static firewalls. They have great firewalls, but with a few drawbacks as well. They can be used, but I still recommend you get a dynamic (software based) firewall because the code for the dynamic firewall changes while a Routers firewall changes you IP, which can be hacked and then spiked to continually send the virus each time it detects you don't have it again (aka after a reformat). keep using the firewall, but if there is a way (I don't know if there is or not) have the Router change its IP as well if at all possible.

BTW- I dont screw with routers all that much, just lets ours do its job, and have firewallls on each PC as well.

BTW- I am right about PS and GPU, just that is very rare, and Like I said, that usually happens when you upgrade components (especially GPU) and PC doesn't have enough power to run properly. Call up a graphics card designer and tell them your PC shuts down after about 2-5 mins of operation and that you just installed one of their graphics cards, and they will say the samething. I am not calling you a dick, just don't think I am BSing these answers pls. I am on this forum to help, which is why I said it COULD be one of THREE problems, and then I said that it was MOST LIKELY as VIRUS... So, my other 2 solutions are probably not correct.

yes, random shutdowns are usually power supply bad, inadequate, or ram. but never will you get a message that says your computer will shut down in 59 seconds because of this. It just quits, or reboots. you are giving a answer that doesn't match the problem for which he described. Also, a software firewalls best function is blocking unauthorized programs from accessing the internet, not blocking intruders or worms. So in this case a hardware firewall like a router is the best choice.

Correct you are sir. Finally, we agree! :D But McAfee's FW blocks worms provided you have their antivirus also, and intruders provided you have their privacy service as well, but the firewall alone does not. Router + Software firewalls= BEST

i did, its up to you, but fact is, Norton's Firewall 2004 or 2005 suks big time. their antivirus is fine, but I think it pops up to much and annoys the crap out of you, so I would say switch to McAfee, but it is up to you.

norton firewall does suck, but I don't like anything about McAfee...just my opinion.
I'm not a big fan of software firewalls at all.

what about that free avg anti-virus, is it anygood?

right now on one comp im running ad-aware6, spybot s&d, webroot window washer and norton 2004

on the other comp its the exact same but im using mcafee internet security 2005 instead of norton.

is this a good setup?

It's very simple. you've got a virus on your pc that prompts that command. When you see that command copy it and type it in a windows search. It'll come up with a thing explaining the virus. And a way to get rid of it. Also it'll tell you how to turn off the option which prompts your pc to turn off. I know cause i had the same problem a few months ago. I finally downloaded adaware and everytime i tryed a scan around midway it that prompt would come up and my pc would shut down. I finally looked it up and switched it off. But i can't remember how to do it. So look it up and everything should be ok. That is of course you haven't figured it out yet.

Back
Top Bottom