DV playback speed?

The_Other_One

Daemon Poster
Just a simple quiestion...more of an annoyance than anything. I have 2 computers I use for video editing. One is a PIII/733MHz and the other is an AthlonXP 2000. Both have firewire(duh ;P) and can capture and edit fine. The problem is when I try and play the video back, I get like 1FPS on the screen and no audio. However, it plays back fine on the camera itself.

Both computers play back the same speed, so I'm quite sure it's not the processor speed or anything that's causing this. I use premiere to edit, so I wasn't sure if it's just something with this program, maybe a way to ensure everything plays back without any lags?

Sounds like a severe corruption of the file (similar to when you download a file off Kazaa or Limewire; it takes up space, but is only at like 32kbps which doesn't paly at all.) Try reinstalling Premier, and formatting both HDs, redoing all software again, or check the bitrate of the files, and do a size test (compare your files that do play in physical size on HD to the ones that don't play) and cross reference their file types and make sure all your video codecs are up to date, and your graphics card drivers are up to date as well.

o_O

The files are original captures by me from my camera or the VCR. It's not a bad install or codecs because I've reinstalled the comps in the past for various reasons.

codecs are obivously DV(how else would it play though DV) ;P

You got me then. Did you check the bit rates? That is the only other reason it is doing that. Otherwise, I have no fricken idea on this one! :eek:

No, I didn't check the bitrates because you guys are not listening. It's not that it ALWAYS plays back slow, only WHEN THE CAMERA IS CONNECTED. Then it plays back slow on my computer, BUT FINE ON THE CAMERA.

AH HA! The Firewire Card may be damaged, so its transfers may be down. Or, the Firewire driver has corrupted somehow. Try looking into this. If it is USB then the same problems may exsist, but with USB. If they are integrated, the pathways on the MOBO may be damaged, which means you may have to get a Firewire PCI card instead if that is the case. SRY FOR BEFORE, I didn't understand it was just when the camera was connected.

Ok, good. But that could mean on the little screen on the camera, so the problem is probably the connection. Check the status of your Firewire/USB man! If the one you use is broken get a new Firewire/USB card, otherwise, update your Firewire/USB drivers. If this is not it, then I have no further ideas unless I were there at your house to see the problem and you paid me $50 to diagnose your PC, then whatever repair costs were needed, which I am not, and nor are you paying me. SRY man, I dunno after what I just said, GL either way.

Back
Top Bottom