Computer timing

filgulfin

Beta member
I have a question. A couple of friends are constructing a project that requires us to do things very quickly. Oh say...ten thousandths of a second. Now what we would like to know is whether or not any of the basic programing softwares can work that fast. If not, is there anything we can do to obtain these speeds. Lastly if there is nothing we can do, is there a way we could make a board to do this for us? One of us has experience with digital electronics.

wow that may not be for all systems. it can depend on the language/compiler/os/hardware. generally if you need to do a specific computation every specific intervals of say every 30 femtoseconds, unix certainly wouldn't allow it, but if you're simply looking for something that can execute at high speeds then any computer will work for you. i'd look up the time slices for your opperating system to see what it allows.

Thank you for the advice. Now I suppose I should be more specific. The timing we need is a way of pulsing a low voltage electrical circuit for those short periods and a way of spacing out these pulses. Anyway, thanks for the info. I'll check into the time slices.

Back
Top Bottom