HELP!!Mess with Windows XP SP2

tester

Baseband Member
Hi folks,

Will some one please help me!!!!!
My problem is i cant open any of the Windows( or Microsoft) Applciations.
I already had Service Pack 1 with my Windows XP Operating System. But due to ill luck or Good I decided to Install a Service Pack 2 before uninstalling the SP1, i aready had on my sytem.
But now I've ended up with a gr8 disaster.
I have neither of my Windows applications working on the sytem.
Just after i installed the SP2 I restarted the sytem as suggested by the installation pack. And after getting the windows operating system working i was happy to have installed the service pack thinking that i might not have all the junk pop ups coming in, while using net.
But to my disappointment i found none of my windows application is even opening. I couldn't open my control panel or my MS office or anything that is Microsoft product.
But i can open other Applications (which is not MS) such as the ROXIO or ADOBE etc.
I have tried to delete the Service pack files thru command prompt, tracing the loaction where it was placed.But no luck.
I would like to retain all my files in my system so any suggestions other than reloading Windows XP would be greatly appreciable.
I would be grateful if somebody could help me out with the problem.
Its really urgent that i should get my system up and running ASAP.

cheers,
tester

Oh yes i can boot into Windows XP with out any error or any problems.
But after getting my desktop ready on the monitor none of my icons responds to a double click.

Again just to make it a bit more clear. I can open all other apps that are not MS registered like the Adobe Acrobat reader or Roxio video editor etc. But can not open My Computer or Control panel or My documents or anything that is Windows OS based.
And that's it.....

Cheers
tester

can you access the programs by using the start menu instead of the desktop shortcuts?

Yes i have tried to delete the service pack files using the comand-line. But when i try to open a program using their exe files. The comand works without showing an error but the window never comes up. The comand prompt just goes to the next line.....
Oooooooh what a mess.....
I guess by doing this i have got rid of some of the files but not all the service pack files.
So i tried to uninstall the SP2 with the installation CD itself it has no remarkable effect either.
It is indeed a funny unique problem.

You may have hosed windows at this point. click start>all programs>accessories>system tools>system restore and give that a try

Oh, if i tried the system restore but no use. the restoration process works but it doesnot get restored to a state where i dint have this hell(service pack) installed.
I guess my system has ended up in a massive trouble. And it is heard that if there is a pirated version of OS the service pack would crash ur system forcing u to buy a good clean version as all such.........
But mine i spend a fortune to buy all those stuffs that's MS products like the OS and the supplemetary pdts.

I wonder what the problem was while i installed the service pack.

yeah i also have a "shifty" version of xp and i learned that bill gates is money grubbing whore so i say switching linux is best for u and if u need windows duel boot them but dont download any service packages. i like suse linux and debian or even red had if you can still find any copies. further more i think microsoft is gay.

I think that while windows will still run, you should back up all your crucial files and everything that is important to you to a cd/dvd. then just do a format and start over. when it gets this bad that usually is about all you can do. Also, you say that you were having popups, and such. this could be caused by spyware or adware by chance. SP2 is very likely to crash if this is on your system. I reccomend trying to do a format, then use windows update to get all updates other than sp2, and after that install sp2, then if that is successful reistall your files. and programs.
I also don't know where you heard that if you have a pirated copy of windows will crash your system when installing it, I don't think this is true.

crazyman143 is right. Backup and start all over. Sometimes the answer is format c:\

Back
Top Bottom