Multiple Reformats & OS Reinstalls Bad?

fibernut

Beta member
I have my MSCA and should know this, but don't remember ever covering this topic:
Are multiple (repeated) reformats & subsequent OS reinstalls on a hard drive, "bad" for the HD???...just wondering.

I dont know for a fact but I do know a lot of people on here talk about reformatting their HD. Someone even said on one thread that they do it pretty regularly.

Yeah, you write and write and write and write all the time; downloading puts the most stress on - reformatting does nothing more than your PC sitting there for a few days.

No, not unless you reformat like 80X or more in a period of one week! (who does this?) Actually, since harddrives use magnetics, unless the magnetic charge dies (massive shock or demag field) then it is fine. The reason is that a HD uses a magnetic read/write head to transmit info onto and off the HD. A magnetized area is read as a 1 while an unmagnitized area is read as a 0, thus making binary. When you reformat, you simply "demagnitize that area" of the harddrive, and effectively clear the code. All zeros are read as nothing except free space if they have no ones to fill in with them. SO when you partially demag by formatting, you run a very low risk of HD corruption. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom