How do you know all this stuff?

NOFX

Fully Optimized
Hey,
Im an absolute noob, thats why I hang around the social forum mainly. But I would love to increase my knowledge about computers. I tried my hand at VB this year at school. I had no idea, I got my friend to email me all the work and I spent the class time playing CS on the wireless network instead.
I signed onto this forum mainly to get help, but I would love to be able to help people as well. So any tips on increasing my knowledge would be very appreciated.
Cheers :)

Almost everything I know I learned own my own. I started by putting computers together, I then found out I liked it enough to make it a career. So, I pounded on mom and pop computer stores hoping someone would hire me as a salesman since I was pretty familiar with hardware. It worked, and that let me get my foot in the door to where I could sneak back into the tech room and the owner let me troubleshoot a little. At first, I sucked...bad, didn't have a clue. But, I eventually got good at everything, so I ended up running the whole shop. Now, I am currently still working in the same shop, plus I have my own business on the side and will be opening my own shop at the first of next year. If you are really interested, just build a few computers, tear apart everything you can, try to get yourself in a small shop like I did, even if it means working for nothing. Man, I'm here to tell you, I have done it all. Warehouse work, frame carpenter, gutter hanging, ops manager for a huge corp. But nothing beats going into work smiling because you LOVE what you do!
Good luck,
Scott.

I learned from doing. The best way to learn is actually "doing" what you want to learn on the computer.

Like for an example... if you want to learn more about firewalls, then dl a firewall and mess around with it. Read up on it a bit.

Now, how I learned about computer hardware was.....

A long time ago I wanted to build a computer. I had an idea of what to do, like i had a good idea of what everything did. So i researched up on it. So after I built my computer i still didn't have a good grasp on everything. The time I started understanding is when I started hanging out with people who are into computers. Talking to my friends of today and people I don't know is mostly where I learn about new hardware.

Just paying attention to people who already know a lot on the subject, trying to take hold of every little bit of info they know, that helped me. And maybe read a few guides on how to build a computer and look at benches to understand what performs best, etc. It takes time, trust me, but you will learn more and more gradually.

Optomistic Determination and Ignorance get me through everything :D Thats how I learn everything, including Computing.

If you hang around here though, you'll pick it up. Most of the things I've learnt about computers have come through being here - I knew enough at the beginning but I know a lot more now. Even if not learnt through here, learnt through the attempt to answer people's questions on the General Forum or any Forum, or hearing of a new thing and seeing about it, trying to learn about it. Then I try and pass down what I have learnt for someone else to do that I have done and learn through the Forum. Just, keep trying and you will pick up so much form here.

Back
Top Bottom