vid card/motherboard problem... fried maybe?

mtr4nch

Solid State Member
i built my computer back in june and it has been running perfectly ever since. before i go on i will list my specs:

amd athlon64 3000+ processor
asus k8v motherboard
1gb pc3200 400mhz ddr ram (2x 512mb chips)
ati radeon 8500le 128mb video card
seperate sound card and firewire card in pci slots
maxtor 60gb primary hd
seagate 200gb slave hd
nec 2510a dvdrw
samsung 52x24x52x cdrw
hercules 400w power supply
clear acrylic case with 4 fans
win xp pro with sp1 and sp2 installed

anyways... it has been running fine for the last 6 months until last week. on wednesday it was windy as hell outside and i was in the middle of playing nfsu2 when the power went out in my house for about 30 sec, and then it turned back on. everything was fine, i went back to playing nfsu2 for like 3 more hours. got out of that and started talkin to people on aim and listening to music, whatever, not even doing anything much, just the usual. and then i went to play igi2 and while its loading my music starts looping like my computer froze and then my screen went from the frozen loading screen to all these different colored vertical lines. so naturally i hit the reset button and wait for win xp to load and everything is fine for about an hour when it happens again, but this time i didnt have any programs running at all. so now im starting to worry like oh crap i should start backing up all my stuff to the 200 gig hd. i restart again and start copying things over but in the middle of this it freezes again, so i repeat this another 2 times until it just wouldnt load windows up again. the weird thing is though is that the k8v screen would come up and start detecting everything right when i boot up the system like its supposed to (visually looked perfectly fine). but then when it got to the win xp loading screen with the scrolling bar at the bottom there was all these scrambled things all over the screen, and then the screen would just be scrambled and stay that way. i tried loading win xp in safe mode and with last known good configuration, but the same thing over and over again.

picture of this: mon1.jpg
video of this happening: monvid.mpg
video part 2: monvid2.mpg
(maybe the matrix has me :p )

now im thinking my vid card is fried, so then on friday (2 days later) i borrow my friends old 32mb video card to test in my computer, and amazingly it works. so now im happy that i figured out what was wrong (so i thought...) and i safely back up everything to my 200 gig hd and disconnect it just in case. then last night (saturday) it seemed like his card did the same thing as my card and freeze my system with the scrambled crap all over the screen.

picture of this: mon2.jpg
another: mon3.jpg

anyway it was really late and i didnt feel like dealing with it so i just restarted it and left it and turned off my monitor. 3 minutes after i get in bed i hear this sound that sounded like my cellphone was vibrating on my table so im like who is calling me now, but then it got loud as hell and its coming through my speakers (it almost sounded like a dial up modem but louder and a little bit higher pitch). by this point i am scared sh**less and ran over to it and just switched off the power supply without turning on the monitor to see what happened. so now i think my mobo was whacked up from the power outage (even though i have a surge protector and everything obviously) and spread to my video card, my friends video card, and now my sound card.

anyway today when i woke up i tried turning it on and my screen stays blank. no mobo start up screen, its running and everything but nothings loading... at all... not even my floppy drive and my dvdrw and cdrw drive trays dont open. i have absolutely no freakin idea what is going on with this thing because i have never had a problem with it. it sounds like the motherboard is fried to me, and hopefully it didnt fry anything else that is connected to it, like my hard drive(s). tomorrow i am borrowing my friend's external hd case and i will see if my stuff is still on there, but for now i am clueless.

i think i told everthing there is to say about my situation, so if anyone can help me out i will be very thankful.

thanks in advance.

tranch

Try your motherboard and other peices of hardware on a friends computer and try to work out whats broken....

I'd check your powersupply. I have a feeling your computer is fried, but I think it would all go back to your PS. It would be smart to check or replace it first. Hehe, don't want to get all new stuff and it get fried too ;P

99nasha: i would do that but if they are definitely fried i dont want to risk the parts frying my friends computer also.

the_other_one: why would the power supply have to do with my computer slowly dying on me? everything runs, but i dunno... just wondering.

any more help is appreciated. thanks.

tranch

Hey nice babe on your desktop it looks to me that your ram modules might be damaged your mainboard might be fine but your PSU is probably screwed up I know this might sound funny but do you smell anything burnt inside your case or while you put the power on?

morpheus: nope, cant smell anything burning at all, nor did i when all of this happened. :-/

how would i check the ram? i mean i would pull it and throw it in another computer but wouldnt i run the risk of damaging the other computer also?

Back
Top Bottom