norton Disk doctor probs

Johnsellars

Solid State Member
Hello there,
can i ask you guys what is probably a simple question?
When i run Norton Utilities Disk Doctor, i keep getting "correcting errors in the volume bitmap" type of messages.
I am running the program when the system has had time to boot up properly etc.
Should i leave it alone, or take steps to resolve?
I have been running dskchck for 2 bloody days !!!
Any help much appreciated
John

hi alvino,
yes, i am using Systemworks professional.
seems good stuff, apart from a few probs.
Cannont find solution to above prob, though.
I have done web searches on it, but old forum threads ask for subscription money to see answers.
Only other answer was from someone who said let system boot up properly, all xp computers log faults if not totally loaded, but mine goes round and round in circles however long you leave her.
What do you think ??
John

Hello everyone,
can i take it that either there is no cure for this, or no one knows the answer?
Doing searches on ask jeeves etc, there appears to be no conclusive cure. My lap top will do a scan with no errors, and my pc used to, but not anymore!
The only other clue is that when i optimize the 'c' drive, it will only move about 85 per cent of the data, so i am guessing the "volume bitmap" refers to some kind of index. I am also interested in a laymans description of the word "bitmap".
I am really surprised no one can give pointers on this, but having said that, even the Symantec tech support don't know either.
Best regards
John Sellars

p.s.
just got back from my wife's Tesco xmas party - bloody rubbish !!

Try McAfee. Some people say that Symantec's Systemworks has problems sometimes. But then again I use Systemworks and I havent had any problems... try asking others around here...

Thanks alvino,
i think i am going to leave alone until something bad happens.
It does appear that part of the information on the hard drive can't be moved (i don't mean the unmovable stuff ) when optimizing, and i think this is a clue.
Some replies found by the web search engine talk about a failing hard drive, but sometimes we look for problems when there aren't any.
This pc is fast enough (after running disk doctor over and over to cure problems - i always thought it was just for hard drive serious problems, not every day health !!!! Had it for two years and never really ran it), so i will leave alone.
Thanks for your help, anyway chap.
Best regards
John

Back
Top Bottom