Hard Drive Losing Power Randomly

you don't have to be booted to windows to run the utility, you boot to the floppy. I'm pretty fuckin' stupid?
your the one asking for help, didn't see me asking about anything. If I had that computer here it would have been fixed before you could have typed out your FIRST post.

skunx710 said:
you don't have to be booted to windows to run the utility, you boot to the floppy. I'm pretty fuckin' stupid?
your the one asking for help, didn't see me asking about anything. If I had that computer here it would have been fixed before you could have typed out your FIRST post.
Hold your horses bro... I worded that so wrong. I meant that this computer BS is pretty fucking stupid :D.

Anyways, thanks everyone for their help. Sorry that I worded that the wrong way and that you took it that way. Anyways, the link you provided didn't go to anything but a bunch of symbols.

I'm gonna go ahead and look for it and winimage and see if I can get this thing checked out.

EDIT

The computer has 2 installations of Windows XP on it now, it booted with the one I selected which was the new installation. How do I remove the new one if it boots perfectly on the old installation?

GrayT said:
Hold your horses bro... I worded that so wrong. I meant that this computer BS is pretty fucking stupid :D.

Anyways, thanks everyone for their help. Sorry that I worded that the wrong way and that you took it that way. Anyways, the link you provided didn't go to anything but a bunch of symbols.

I'm gonna go ahead and look for it and winimage and see if I can get this thing checked out.

EDIT

The computer has 2 installations of Windows XP on it now, it booted with the one I selected which was the new installation. How do I remove the new one if it boots perfectly on the old installation?

Yeah, i read it over 3 times and thought wtf? I'm helping this guy and now I'm stupid? Sorry i took it wrong

Lol... yeah gotcha... no problem no problem.

UPDATE

Got the computer up and running, just reformatted. If it starts clicking again I'm almost certain it has something to do with my wiring. When I had the problem, I pushed in the IDE cable and it stopped the problem. As soon as I let off it persisted.

strange. I still am betting bad hdd. sometimes they will format and then start getting errors afterwards. an ide cable, and a bad molex connector could do this too though. you couldn't download dft huh? it works great from my end.

skunx710 said:
strange. I still am betting bad hdd. sometimes they will format and then start getting errors afterwards. an ide cable, and a bad molex connector could do this too though. you couldn't download dft huh? it works great from my end.

Nope couldn't get it, I've used it before though. I used it way before I had posted any of this and it says that the fitness is perfect. On "SpeedFan" the S.M.A.R.T. fitness of my harddrive that's messing up is a little above 50%. What do you think, time for a new harddrive? What would you recommend for harddrives? It seems like everything I try something new they always break down on me in less than a month or so.

Seagate all the way.
I see less failure rate, plus a 5 year warranty on all drives, and the price isn't bad either. But if your hdd isn't bad, don't replace. Can you swap psu's with another computer?

Unfortunately no I don't have access to any other PSU's, my other computer is a laptop.

I've heard a lot of good things about Seagate, I'll give them a try if anything else comes up.

Back
Top Bottom