Wireless Networking Problems

The_Buzz

Beta member
I am trying to set up a wireless network between my home computers to play lan games. I have a DLINK DI-824VUP+ which has a small inbuilt antenna. I am trying to network with a computer downstairs but the floor is 8inch thick concrete and I cant get a signal. The guys at Computers Online are suggesting I use two directional antennas but before I buy them I want to know if they will actually work. Can anyone tell me from experience if this is going to solve my problem?

I wouldn't rely on Wireless for gaming....Even if its 802.11g....The problem with wireless is that it's somewhat still in it's infancy therefore still has several issues to work on...Like interference from Microwaves, Cell Phones and Cordless phone with 900MHz or higher (Which will cause you to loose your connection).

Also, to answer your question, yea it can work..But it'll never be 100% especially if your going to deal with walls and home appliances & when it comes to online gaming, 100% is whats required....

Hi Guys,
I am trying to network computer with XP to computer with Win 2000. The 2 wireless network cards are working and can ping each other. However, the XP network setup wizard does not support Win 2000. Is there some way I can share the internet connection and folders?
PS - Is this the right place to be asking this question?

yes use that applications softwarwe and see if that works.

if not you will have to statically setup IPs.

Pcmxkeith,
I am not if your msg is addressed to me but if it is, yes I did get a cd to install drivers etc for the network cards. I was able to add the XP computer network to my win 2000 wireless lan utility box. However, the network setup wizard in XP does not work on the win 2000 o/s. It also suggests using a flash drive to add computers to the network but I don't want to buy a flash drive and then find out that it is not supported by the win 2000 o/s. All I really need is to transfer files from the win2000 to the XP computer but the file and transfer wizard in XP does not support win 2000 either. Any help would be much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom