Hard Drive Losing Power Randomly

GrayT

Baseband Member
I've only recently started having this problem. Basically on random occasions the hard drive will wind down (the power is no longer flowing through it) and then it will instantly wind back up (the power is flowing through now.)

It hasn't caused any damage to my data as of yet but since it's my storage drive, I put all of my games on it. The occasion is purely random, sometimes it will do this 10 times over. When I'm playing a game (the game data is on this drive) the game will freeze for a second, then will come back into play. Sometimes if the drive jut keeps turning on and off the game will just sit there... and eventually restart my computer.

I have 2 hard drives, I've checked the fitness of both of them, they're still perfect. The one with the problems is a Hitachi 80GB drive and I've had it for maybe 2 months now. My system files HD (the first one without the problems) I've had for over a year now and is a Western Digital 30GB.

k, try checking this...go to control panel/ performance & maint./ power options..in the box that say's POWER SCHEMES...make shure it is set to your setup.

Example: if i had a desktop comp....put it to desktop setting.

You can also tell it to never turn off hhd.

Hope that helps...

Thanks for the help but I've already done that :D

Even if that were the problem it would only turn anything off if it were idle for a certain amount of time. This happens as I'm playing a game, I just don't understand what's going on.

Ok so now my computer won't even load past the device checking. I have no idea what's going on. I woke up this morning and my computer was ticking on and off so much that I had a blue screen saying it did a memory dump.

I turned off the comp, and checked the bios for anything that might be causing any problems (a last-resort-I-hope-this-does-something thing) and everything looked good. I turned it back on, the harddrive didn't wind up, so I pushed in the jumper cable, it instantly powered up. I let off, it turned off. So I figured there was a lose connection with the jumper or that the jumper was just shit.

I took another jumper out of my old computer, put it in and it didn't power up anything, so I switched it out for the old one that was originally in it. I turned the comp on, the devices were seen... and now it's saying Windows Can't Find A Bootable Drive.

I put the XP disc in, and deleted the Windows directory, then copied over the essential files in hopes that it would cure something. Same problem, what the fuck is going on?!

Ok, from my experience, you may have a bad power supply. Try switching around the 5.5v cables, like use the ones that you used on your CD drives on the HDD. That worked with my Videocard/ HDD and DVDROM/CDRW

It's not under warranty anymore, bought it from a friend who never used it.

I changed out the connections and it didn't make any differance but that now the harddrive makes a loud ass whine. The exact thing it says is "DISC BOOT FAILURE, INSERT SYSTEM DISC AND PRESS ENTER." This will only take me back to deleting the Windows directory, and reinstalling... which I've already done and it does nothing.

I have already been wondering if my PSU is a little weak, it was adequate before I got an ATi 9800 Pro 128mb card, and now it just seems like the system hangs all the time for no reason.

I was thinking about going with an MGE XG Vigor, anyone ever heard about it?

your hdd is bad. download dft and check it, i bet it fails it very fast. if you need it let me know.
you can download it here
http://scottscomputer.com/dft
you'll need winimage for it to work which is free at winimage.com
download winimage, go to file, open, open the dft file then choose format and create disk.
boot to the disk and run dft!

I'd try that but now the computer won't boot up at all. I said that in the fourth post I think it was... pretty fuckin stupid.

Back
Top Bottom