Man What An Honor

Cowboy_EGN

Baseband Member
I do security/first responder for a retirement home. Well, about 0600, I get a page, which means, someone needs my assistance. Well an elderly gentleman had fallen. He gotten up under his own power and he said he wasn't hurting, but he had a cut on his ear and I cleaned it up for him. Called his son, his son gets frantic, guess who calms his son down..yeap me.

Well I noticed a shadow box on his wall. He's well into his 70s-80s years old, and I see SGT chevrons, and then at the bottom, a Bronze Star....I asked him about what war, he told me World War II, and he told me how he got his Bronze Star, and I thought it was just an honor that he would share with me...a total stranger, his selfless actions. I just kneeled next to his bed as I listened....stopped packing my medical bag, and it was inspirational.

He got it at the famous Battle of the Bulge. He was with the 3rd Armored Divison. Just hearing about the bravery of him and the others around...brought a tear to my eye, and I got to go home in a better mood.

Thanks SGT Robert Smith.

Two of my great uncles served in Messina and throughout Italy (on the allied side, they fled Mussolini and then joined the US Army I believe).. I'll ask my dad which division...

My grandfather died after he escaped from a German prison camp. He was with the russian military.

WWII is really touching for me, because of the massive russian loss in it, (my entire family tree for the last 100 years is russian, my family is the first in our tree to move out russia). There were horrors in that war that were worse then we could ever imagine. I honor all those who served (on both sides, because half those germans had no choice but to server hitler, or be sent to the gas chamber) Yeah, there were germans and italians who didn't want to fight, but were forced to, and I respect that too.

But for the most part, i salute those who died to keep this world a safer place from hitler. Esspecialy those who fought in D-day, and Stalingrad. I also am terribly sorry for the 2 million who died in the leningrad siege, which lasted 4 years.

Oh yeah.... escpecially Stalingrad. :( Lots of lives were lost in the battle.

Back
Top Bottom