Built PC, Won't Turn On

Jester6435

Solid State Member
I'm building my first PC and i've run into a problem.
First off here are the specs of the system:

AMD 64 3400+
Gigabyte K8NS Ultra-939
1 Gb Geil DDR Ram
256 X800 SE
7,200 rpm, 80 gig hardrive
Aspire 500W Dual Fan Aluminum Power Supply

Here's the problem. I put everything together, plugged shit in, and went to turn it on. Hit the power switch and I saw the blue neon for my fan flash on, but it quickly went out. The neons on the front of the computer didn't turn on, and the temp gauge didn't turn on either. The power supply also has neons in it, and those didn't turn on. Nothing came up on the monitor. I looked around the case, and noticed in the back of the tower the Ethernet light was on...I had my cable plugged in. The light was green, then looking into the case my RAM LED light was on, that is on my motherboard. So I don't really know where to go or what to look at. Any ideas would help, if you are willing to try and help me walk through it.. AIM is Jester6435, or email me advice at Jester6435@aol.com

THe first thing I think of is what my mobo did. Make sure you have your processor fan connected to the correct plug. My mobo had 2 near each other, and if it doesn't get a signal(IE the fan stops or isn't plugged in) the computer shuts down.

I'd next double check nothing is shorting out. Make sure all the motherboard standoffs are installed and secure. Make sure the board is nice and flat and no screws are touching any foil runs. Oh, and make sure the board isn't touching the case itself!

If it all looks good, start, I'd start disassembling it and putting it back one by one, trying it every time you add something new to make sure what's out isn't conflicting somehow.

OH, and RAM. I guess make sure it(along with any other cards) are seated proporly. If it is, you might want to check out some info on your board. Maybe you can find a RAM compatability list.

Well I took my extra PSu and tested that, and it does the same thing so I figure that it's deffinetly not my PSU.

So I took the board completely out of the box, and with power going into the board, and one fan still nothing happens. I also removed my graphics card and my sound card and tested it and still nothing. I checked the RAM and it is fine for the MB and it seems to be in place. I don't really know where to go from here. As a last resort I might take it to a local shop and have them look it over. Post any ideas on how to test other items on the board. Could it possibly be the CPU?

Also as a side note because if I do manage to fix that, then this is going to be my next problem. I ordered a heatsink online beacuse nobody had one for a 939 socket anywhere around here. (Vermont...go figure) And the one that came in is big, 120 mm fan. It has a copper guard around the outside of the fan, but then it just has the fan on top. I'm somewhat worried about wires getting caught in the fan. I tried to push them to the side, but some have to go right near it, and so should I use those plastic straps and hold em off to the side or what?

Thanks for everybodies time by the way, thanks for helping a rookie builder.

Well I wouldn't worry about the wires since the fan's roter is plastic not metalic I doubt it can cut the wires

They are somewhat close, I think I can find a way to push them away though. i can't take picture because I don't have a digital camera, and not many of the wires are attached because I took everything apart and am starting to try and find out what's wrong.

Ahh

I brought it into the computer store just a little while ago. I gave up, maybe I can build the PC I buy for college.. Until then SHIT!

Hey take it easy. I just thought of something they are called straps I think they hold a bunch of wires together

alright, the same thing happened to a friend of mine recently. he put everything together then tried to turn it on and it did nothing
the problem ended up being that he didn't put spacers between the motherboard and the case, so it kept shorting out. maybe thats what happened? i'm not sure but thats all i could think of. hope that helps

Back
Top Bottom