HD - wtf

Denier-of-Soup

In Runtime
I left my comp for 2 hrs, and came back to find out my two drives (except C) were gone. I decided to check out power saving options, the HD's were scheduled to go to sleep after 2 hrs. I turned that off, and restarted the system. I can login but still can't see the HD's.

Any ideas?

What OS are we talking here ? and how many total hhd's are on the comp.(computer) ?

Ok, when you say they are gone are they gone from my comp. folder or shortcut's gone from the desktop?

Sorry bout all the ?'s, but i'm tring to understand the ? better...
Anyway's when you made the partition's for the hhd, did you set the partition to active?

Alot of times when you make a partiton on a hhd, and don't set it to active...then down the road, the OS will stop reading & writing to it.

I can't see them in the My Computer shortcut. Also, it can't locate any of the programs installed on drives E & F. So I'm stuck with the sucky Windows programs from drive C.

:confused:

Isn't that a disk dividing utility though? I need my drive E back, thats all. It looks as if it's been disconnected or something.

btw I'll try and restart again, if you got some spare time, please don't go. :(

Check your cables to your hard drive both the power and IDE cable.

It may also be a bad cable.

I had that happen to me a couple of times. But I am cheap, so I get my regular flat cable and cut them up to make a round cable. After about 5-6 months one of the cables stopped working. I think I knicked the wire when I cut them, taking 5-6 months to fail.

Just a suggestion.

yey :D

Restarting the system (again) did the job.

Thanks for the help anyways, sometimes I get a little too worried when something like this happens.

Ok, is the 2nd hhd on the same IDE cable as the primary hhd....? if it is make shure the secondary hhd is set to slave and not master...

You cannot have two hhd's set to master. one must be a slave drive.

If everything is fine there, is bios picking up the secondary drive in the bios settings...?

Glad you worked it out...i just left this in just incase it did'nt work...

Back
Top Bottom