connecting routers???

delsol_ca

Solid State Member
hey guyz.. newbie here... first post - hope some of u can help
Ok i got 2 questions... but first here is my setup @ work: i got like 14 computers.. all running xp pro ... 8 of them on a router and then the other 6 on another router.

question 1:

is there a way to connect all these computers together? somehow joining the 2 routers so they can share the same printer and stuff...?

question 2:

secondly.. i have a server (win 2k) which hosts our website .. its connected to the router that has the 6 computers (no printer)
i wana format all the 14 computers and create individual accounts for xp so users can have individual usernames and passwords and their info can be saved on the server... is that possible?

thanks in advance

Morpheus said:
Question 2
Yes you can

lol... can u tell me how?
i gata meet a deadline to get this office rolling by this saturday
i'm a newbie here.. n e help is appriciated

thanks in advance

lol. if you get a up to date wireless modem/router, you can have all your pc's on there via wireless. each pc needs a wirless lan card as well to get them to work. (no cables) you can also do the came to the printers i think. also it looks like you want to network them to a server. so what you do is

1 server
I
I
wireless router-----------
I I I I I I I
I I I I I I I
loads of pc's printers

Well I am not sure I just know you can try this. Go to Start->settings->control panel->user accounts but I am not sure I think that might be just for your computer sorry I can't be anymore help

make accts on teh server by going to active directory users and computers (under admin tools). should be option to create new user or computer.

1)

Yes you can do this, Here's a suggestion. Setup the networks as follows.

Network1 - Setup your router1 to have the IP address 192.168.1.1
Network2 - Setup your Router2 to have the IP address 192.168.2.1

Specify the IP addresses on each machine now, for example Computers 1- 8 will be connected to Network one and will have a IP addresses 192.168.1.2 - 9.

Computer 1 - 192.168.1.2
Computer 3 - 192.168.1.4

Then Setup the other 6 computers to have the ip addresses 192.168.2.2 - 9

Computer 1 - 192.168.2.2
Computer 3 - 192.168.2.4
... 192.168.2.9.

These computers are now on different networks hence the 3rd octect of the IP address being different. What we need to do now is setup the routers so that they can broadcast each others network. This can be done by the console connection at the back of the routers and use hypertrm to get into them. If not then they have a web interface that you can administer them from. Check your manuals for more information.

someones been useing the defult setings havent thay. and let me gues you have a BELKIN router havent you?

Back
Top Bottom