More memory questions

mayorredbeard

Daemon Poster
1.) What would happen if you started up your computer with no RAM in it? Would you just get a blank monitor?

2.) What would happen if you started up your computer with too much RAM.

3.) What would happen if you started up a computer with a memory chip not properly installed.

And this is another question thats seemly random;

4.)What would happen if you touch (im guessing its the mother board because its like a really big chip), with your hands. and....
5.)What would happen if you touch the big motherboard thing with a memory chip accidently?

-----
I just need to know because my brothers computer broke, after he tried to install more memory without waiting for me to help him (im not that great with computers either though), and im tryign to diagnos whats wrong. We've tried connecting the cpu to multiple monitors and all the time the monitor shows up black. And when we hooked his cpu up to my mouse and monitor by laser-mouse light didn't even light up.

1.) What would happen if you started up your computer with no RAM in it? Would you just get a blank monitor?
You should get a series of long post beeps.

2.) What would happen if you started up your computer with too much RAM.
It would only read the max the board supported.

3.) What would happen if you started up a computer with a memory chip not properly installed.
It could zap the memory, and or board.

And this is another question thats seemly random;

4.)What would happen if you touch (im guessing its the mother board because its like a really big chip), with your hands. and....

Typically nothing, unless you had hella ESD (static)

5.)What would happen if you touch the big motherboard thing with a memory chip accidently? Same as above

one more question.
you said if you started up a computer with a memory chip not properly installed, i meant like if it wasn't pushed in all of the way. or if not properly clipped in and you started the computer, what would happen.

and what do you mean by zap?

ok good i got scared their because i think thats what happend, it wasn't properly pushed in all the way. thanks a lot. (we just got a blank screen with no beeping or anythign, could this mean that their being no memory chips installedd?)

Back
Top Bottom