blue screen windows xp

valker

Beta member
I tried to format my hard drive and I got the following message on a blue screen.
Check for viruses on computer. Check hard drive to make sure it is properly configured adn terminated. Run CHKDSK/F to check for hard drive corruption and restart pc.
I have a program by W.D. (which I have a W.D. hard drive that writes the drive to zeros. I ran this program, writing the h.d. to zeros and reinstalled Windows XP home without a problem. Just for grins I tried to format the h.d. again using the CD and the same message came up. I ran a virus scan and nothing shows up.
I am running
Windows XP
AMD (barton core) xp 2400
1 gig of OCZ ram
ASUS A7N8X deluxe mb
W.D. Raptor h.d.
ATI Radion 9700 g.c.
Is it possible that the hard drive could have a bad sector in it, or be so corrupted that it will not allow itself to be formatted? I am at a complete loss as to what action to take now.
Any help would be greatly appreciated since I am somewhat of a nocive at computers. Thanks

I have never seen that message while performing a full format with an xp disk. Its very possible that the drive has some bad sectors. Raptors carry like a 5 year warranty though, have you used westerns hdd utility to check the drive?

Well if yor refering to WESTERN DIGITAL, you might want to do a fresh install, using the restore option on the Disk that has the driver's on it.

1st go bios, and put the boot-up options to:
1) cd drive
2) floppy
3) hhd

then boot w/the disk , using option #2, then when it reboots, again use option #1. a formatt for the drive, then after a reboot again it should ask you for the Disk w/the OS on it.

And after the install is all done, reboot into safe mode and run the Disk Defragmenter...this will enshure all window's will be load up fast.

of course as you add/ and delete programs your comp load time will lengthen.

Mr Mixx I did not recieve a CD with the Raptor h.d. Is this the disc you were refering to? If it is not, please elaborate a little more as I am very new to pc diagnostics of any sort
I ran the diagnostics tools offerred by W.D. and it showed there was nothing wrong with the disc (hard drive). I bought the "drive only" off the net.Thanks

Back
Top Bottom