tips and tricks forum

Masahiro

BSOD
maybe a new forum for posting computer tips and tricks ect???
i mean i have one and many more i could post it even has pics:

pm me for the url to the article with pics ((its on my site), im not writing tle link here incase the mods go crazy.....

STEP 1

Click the start button, then right-click My Computer, then click Properties:

STEP 2
The System Properties dialog comes up. Click on the "Advanced" tab:

STEP 3

Look at the first box. There should be a Settings button to the right of the Performance box. Click Settings, and the following dialog (with different settings to this guide usually) comes up:

Adjust all the checkboxes ( ones with ticks), for example, Fade out menu items after clicking.

After removing the ones that you won't really miss, you will notice faster speeds, particularly when browsing through long menus.

If your computer is particularly ancient, you can even remove all the fancy effects all together, by clicking on the radio (circle) button in the top half of the window, that says Ajust for best performance.

Once the configuration is done, click on OK on all the windows that you opend following this guide.

Okay this is a complicated trick, esspecialy the last one, but it's intresting. Basically, this trick renames in windows XP all the icons with a blank. This looks kinda nice, as seen here or here. I then put all my icons into the quickstart menu, which makes it really nice.

Anyways, don't try to do this with like more then 5 icons, it doesn't work too well. Start off by renaming all the applications.

for xp Pro users, you'll see that it doesn't allow you to insert a space in there. What you do is put numlock on, hold alt and press 1060 (on the numpad) . This is the character space, so the computer will think something is accualy there. Now, you might run into problems when the computer starts complaining that multiple folders/applications have been renamed with the same character. Simply insert a combination of blank spaces and/or alt-1060 chars in there.

for xp Home users, you should be able to just rename it with a space.

now, if you try to rename the recycling bin, you'll find out you can't. But there is a solution!!! Open up regedit (start>run>regedit) and go to HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\CLSID\{645FF040-5081-101B-9F08-00AA002F954E}\ShellFolder . Now look for attributes, right click and do modify binary data. Now change the value to 70 01 00 20. Now go to desktop and hold down the windows key and press "e". Highlight recycling bin and go to file>rename. Now rename it ( I don't remember of the top of my head if it accepts spaces, if it doesnt, just rename it with alt-1060 numpad chars ). Now you have a very organized desktop!! :)

Thanks to a guy who goes by handle Elohimus or Sol in some places for teaching me a lot of the stuff here.

Yes i have treyed Netusers one however if you uncheck the last button it makes xp look a bit bad.

intersting

if you want to forum its david youll have to get to see this

I think a really long thread would be fine..THere are enough forums out there, just leave it be.

Back
Top Bottom