Hard Drive Problem

Java_Dude1

Solid State Member
Hi, I just bought a new 80GB Western Digital hard drive 3 days ago and since I installed it into the main hdd bracket it's been making this odd sound... like a buzzing sound. Sometimes if I touch the case it'll get louder, but sometimes it'll stop, then start up again a minute later. I've checked out all the cables and tightened up all the screws to see if that was the problem... it wasn't. :(

I ran some test that came with the drive from WD on the diagnostic CD, there weren't any errors. I defragged, scanned for a virus, checked for other errors using Norton software, but nothing was found to be wrong. :confused: I'm completely out of ideas, and I really don't wanna go back to my 14GB drive with just enough space to hold my software and other stuff... and it's taken me 2 days to get this 1 back to how I want it. Thanks for any help you guys can give!

Sounds like the case rattling? I am not sure. Possible drive is bad and it is still performing ok, or well enough to pass diagnostic tests. I would image the drive with ghost and replace it. If you don't think its the case that is. Search for a program called DFT from hitachi and use it to check the drive.

Yeah, someone told me that the drive platter could be warped so it would be defective and cause it to vibrate, which I'm guessing could ruin the drive over time? Is that possible? :eek:

If I did replace the drive, would you reccomend any specific brand? I've heard that WD started out good, but in the past there have been some problems with drives failing. You would probably know wore about hard drives than me, and I don't want this to happen again. :)

Oh, 1 more thing... about imaging with Ghost... before I tried with norton Ghost 2003 and the image file was too big to fit on a regular CD-R. What else can I do to make an image? I have another computer (well... my brother does) and it has a big hard drive... can I stick an image on his computer or something? Thanks for any help!

Drive recommendation?
Seagate
Seagate
Seagate

Why? I am a full time tech and I have three reasons for this.
1.least failure rate
2.5 year warranty on all drives now
3.not anymore expensive than other drives
If you can buy a new drive and then take back the other one for a refund image it to the new drive itself. You'll need the floppy disk version of ghost which I can get you if you need it.

Back
Top Bottom