OEM Questions?

Vandiyan

In Runtime
I have been looking parts over and over for the past few weeks. My question is what exactly is OEM. I know what the letters stand for, but not 100% sure on the exact meaning. I gather that it is usually a company that makes something, ie a DVD-RW, and lets a larger company like Sony put their name on it. Am I even close.

Another part of my question is there certain things that you should never buy as OEM? Or should you always go with OEM when available? I was thinking about buying my burners OEM, and possibly my memory.

Thank you for the information and help.

theres lots fo terms for OEM...

for instance a computer company like yourdreamsystem or ibm.... they are oem system builders

oem can also mean the actual company who build the product.

like sony for instance.. they are an OEM to lots of theose small consumer electronic companies devices.

those companies contract out to sony. so those are known as CEMs (contact equipemtn manufacterers)

Well.......kinda got it dell :p

generaly OEM (origional equipment manufacturer) is used to save costs. It comes un-retailed..no packaging, manuals and drivers/cds etc.

So companys can cut costs when they build systems and whatnot..

having no manuals can be very frusterating. You don't know what the piece of hardware is compatible with and whatnot. Most of that info you can find on google, but that can be a long task.

I'd really only never buy OEM processors. Only retail, a few bucks more, warrenty, packaging, manual, and a sticker! :p

Back
Top Bottom