Loading XP OS on new drive!

Herrmann22

Solid State Member
Hello!

I am about to load XP with SP2 bundle onto an 80GB laptop drive and was wondering about the FAT vs NTFS file structure. What type should I use and why? I tried formatting a drive once using NTFS and had nothing but problems but this was a Windows 2000 OS. Should I try NTFS again or stick with FAT?

BTW, I have a brand new drive and was also wondering if I should reformat this or let just load XP and not worry about it.

Thanks!

Ok, I'll try it again and see what happens.

I also want to create about three partitions, one for my programs, one for my company data files, and one for storing odds and ends. Again, should I format this new drive first or just create my partitions right from the start?

I just don't know if new drives come ready to start working with or if they need some type of format first to ready them per say.

You can format the drive (recomended) and then you can create partitions by booting into the xp cd and following the instructions.

so then could someone explain why ntfs is better than fat 32? I've always heard that fat 32 is faster.

as the others sais NTFS has extra security options such as permissions and file encryption/compression ...and also it is faster many times in defragmentation ... but u can format the hard as FAT32 & install windows & if u dun like it u can simply convert it 2 NTFS without formatting ..just open the command prompt window & type : convert c: /fs:ntfs
when u'll retart it will b converted

yes go w/NTFS....it will be more stable than Fat32.

Only draw back is once you format to NTFS you can't go back to Fat32...But that's ok, unless you want to go back to installing Win 98.

Back
Top Bottom