AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
FlamingTeddiz said:
hey, im again thinking of building a computer (first time my parents wouldnt let me). i have heard that amd's are better than intel but im sure its just like ati and nvidia. i have a price range, i want to spend like 230 for a cpu. i can figure the rest out myself. but should i get a athlon 64 3400 or some other intel p4?

thanks,

You will hear that, especially from the Cheapskates hear on the ComputerForum site. An Intel & Nvidia combination cannot be beat for reliability and it ability to handle ALL tasks handed to it.

An AMD64 is still a fine machine and particularly good at gaming. If you plan to run only one program at a time it's not a bad bet. But if you do plan to multi-task stay away from the AMD.

Example tonight. On my mates network, Both Amd machines. I started copying a DVD. A few mins later we started a game. ONE HOUR later it's STILL reading the DVD and when I switch to CloneDVD. The game Kicks me off the network and an hours play is lost. GREAT.....

I have an athlon XP 3200+ and only 256 MB ram and I multitask this computer to death. I OFTEN run Gimp, photoshop, bearshare, windows media player 10, firefox with at least 5 tabs open, outlook, word, frontpage, nortan 2003 antivirus software, roxio easy cd creator, windowblinds, and msn messanger all at the same time, and it just barely starts to slow down.

IF I had more ram I am SURE I could run at least double that ammount of apps at the same time.

A couple days ago I rendered a HUGE flame in gimp that had a file size of over 65mb with a dpi of 300. Gimp was taking 46Mb of ram and flame.exe (which makes the flame) was taking up 92Mb. It took a half hour to render it.

Why a half hour. Because I don't have enough ram, the processor was only running at abut 14% capacity but all the ram was taken up and the page file was maxed out.

I am sure if i had about a gig of ram it would have rendered it in a couple of minites or less.

I have tryed to do simular things on intel computers WITH 512 and a gig of ram and they would just crash after a couple of minutes.

If you try your Intel on a similar system to have all that open and your computer dosen't completly die I will totally congradulate you for being right! I would even give you a standing ovation. Do you accept my challenge?

My machine has NEVER crashed. I can honestly say that. Dont forget that I own 11 AMD's. I know what they are capable of and what they cant do so well.

Before the P4 HT I was on a AMD64 3200+. Whilst it was a good fast machine. I worked around the tasks that it was poor at. we all do. If running say a full virus scan slows the machine to a bit of a crawl you just run it at certain times. You work out what you can and cant run at the same time. You adapt your work to the machine.

Then I got the P4 and when I ran things that would have slow the AMD down. I didn't miss a beat. So I through everything I could at it and WOW that's when I saw the power of the P4. If I had continued to work on my machine the way I did with the AMD64 I wouldn't have seen that much difference but when you run ANY programs at anytime, without ANY slowdowns you see the difference BIG TIME.

As I posted before, I was using Photoshop CS and Coreldraw 12 at the same time (creating a catalogue). When I switched between programs it took between 1 to 2 seconds on my Laptop P4 3Ghz HT. On the AMD64 3200+ that I use at work. It took bewteen 20-29 seconds (yes I used the stopwatch on my cellphone). That's all that needs to be said.

camers said:

Eh! you scottish .....
I dont need to BS. You obviously have never used a descent machine or suite of Programs that could test a machine. As usual you are all talk without ANY experience. Go play with you action man or something.

*sigh* ....

Just learn to take your time with a fucking computer :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom