AMD XP 2500 overheating

doughsthoughts

Solid State Member
ok, ill start this off. im not a newbie to the hardware world of computers.

I have an ASUS a7v8x motherboard, AMD xp 2500 (barton core),antec silver thermal paste, 70mm thermal take processor fan, 768 mb of pc3200, geforce 4 mx 440 64 mb, 1 maxtor serial ata hard drive 160 gig, 2 maxtor UATA 133 40 gigs in raid 0.

the system has been running fine now for about 2 years, i rarely have issues with it. all thou recently the average CPU tempature is SKY rocketing.. system idle 0 to 1 % cpu usage, is 111ºF . 100% cpu usage raises the tempature to around 120 to 122ºF. It has been making me extremly nervous and cautious of pushing the system for long periods of time. the processor fan seems to be @ a strong 3000 rpm's from the day i put it together till now..

the system is aired out alot, its not dust or air flow restriction. i clean it quite frequently. i also have all rounded cables and have gone thru serious cable management. cables ties / loom . its very tidy and managed.

ill admit i noticed the problem after i ran seti for about a month.. (for those who dont know , seti uses any CPU idle time too process large amounts of data. soo my computer ran @ 100% usage )for about 450 hours straight.. before i noticed the MAX TEMP too raise..

the systems MAX temp before SETI was around 105º it ran at that tempature for about 18 months. after the month of seti, i noticed its base temp raising more and more, it held at 111º for awhile. mainly cuz i removed seti from my system and only stressed it here and there.. now i notice any time i crank up a 3d game, or use 100% cpu process, the tempature seems to be raising little by little over the last week or 2. the max now is 122ºF.

ive come to the conclusion my processor is dying slowly but surely. i was hoping to reach out to the computer community, i could either confirm this theory , or at least get comfort in knowing others have this problem.. or a possible solution if any..

if you have anyquestion please post them or contact me thru aim..

thanks dough

Hey dough! Welcome to CF! well did you install any utilities for your mobo? cuz my ASUS mobo had like cool n' quiet and when i installed it it kept turning off my cpu fan (it got to like 57c!).

yeah, i doo have QFan motherboard, but it is disabled. the only utility i have is the ASUS probe, that shows voltages / tempatures / fan rpm's. thanks for the thought thou. any more ideas?

mine stays around 125 () most the time - amd 3200+

xfx pine mobo/ areocool tower heatsink with 2 fans and my system wont got to 400mhz bus speed cuase my mobos limitations.

there was a month during the first few months of my system , i tried over clocking. i have the barton core that is unlocked and will over clock a bunch. it was more of a test if i can.. it hasnt been overclocked in 15 months and ran quite stable afterwards, and quite cool after my experimentation. during my overclocking it never ran over 105ºF. Myvideo card base drivers i believe are over clocked. a winfast A180TDH. but i havnt increased it further..

Dell_ate_my_dog said:
mine stays around 125 () most the time - amd 3200+

xfx pine mobo/ areocool tower heatsink with 2 fans and my system wont got to 400mhz bus speed cuase my mobos limitations.

well that makes me feel alil better, knowing other procs are running this hot and still work good.. all thou i'd trade my 2500 for a 3200.. i know after running a computer BURN IN the temp increases. but has anyone heard tempature increases happening drastically after 2 years?

also another thing is, i live in florida, but its been getting cooler lately and my computer is getting hotter.. the computer hasnt moved locations either in 2 years. soo its not a new enviroment or HVAC issues..

i also run a small home lan w/ 5 computers, 3 asus mobos, 1 abit, and 1 intel. sooo far mine is the only one running hot in the house. ><

the more i think about it, the more i think i should just ante up for a 3200. = )

Back
Top Bottom