Jerky PC After SB Hell

Kemik1

Beta member
Hi all,
I have 4 psi ports on my pc. 3 of which are used.

One by graphics, one by something i dont have a clue but I need it :p and one by my Soundblaster 5.1 live card.
The 4th port was welded on and i cannot get it off.

I bought a router & a wireless network card to boost my broadband signal from my main phoneline. When it came to installing the card I had no slots so i finally broke the welds and placed in the network card to fill the 4th space.

My network card was detected by simply won't work.
So I took out my SB card & put the network card in the 3rd space. Everythnig was great & working.
SO I took my SB card and put it in the 4th slot.... hmm detected *inserts cd & updates drivers* I then restarted pc and nope, card wasnt working.
So I done some research and uninstalled drivers. Reinstalled them and strange enough. Programs were saying there is no sb card conencted. But there clearly was.
So again i reinstalled drivers but this last time my pc mouse is very jerky. I dont know why, S&D & adaware pick up nothing. I get this as soon as my login screen starts. Which is strange caus things only usally go wrong after i've logged in.

Thanks for any help in advance.

First off, it's PCI, not PSI ;P And it is helpful to know what all is in your computer(IE that one card you definetly need) IF by any chance you don't need it, it oculd help resolve the problem.

Nowthen, my first guess would be hardware comflicts. Check Device Manager to see if any !'s are showing.

Also, what windows are you running? As for your computer, does it have an onboard soundcard, or just that soundblaster? If it does have onboard sound, have you disabled it?

Yeah you're having hardware conflicts... Go into device manager and tell us what it says. By the way, what is that thing you don't have a clue about (second PCI slot) , that might have something to do with this.

Ok, heres a screenshot of my devices manager:

http://www.kobux.co.uk/help-scr.JPG

My "weird" unknown port looks like two usb [ports with the3 prong symbol.
Inside the card conencts straight to the motherboard instead of via the slots. It connects via 2 thick white wires with the ends that go into the slots that look like the rectangle conenctors with the 2 screw things on.

Sorry I dont know the more technical names for any of these things :(

Did you disable them in the bios or just device manager? Be sure it's from the bios so there's no way for hardware conflicts.

After that, I'd say uninstall all the drivers and then reinstall.

It was jsut the device manager. I tried the Bios but couldnt find much.
Update: I got slightly unhappy witht he jerky thing so i opened up the pc & moved a few things around. Everything is now working great :)
*sniffs* Smell smoke? lol only jokin :D

Thanks for your help & quick responses guys :)

Back
Top Bottom