New Hardware

jay8990

Daemon Poster
ok so im fed up with the computer and so looking to upgrade some bits of it. currently I'v got:

Columbia motherboard with integrated sound/graphics(64mb dynamically shared)
Intel P4 2.4GHz
256mb RAM
80GB hd
couple cd drives and the rest I/O

so questions:
1) What quicker processors (around 3GHZ) would fit into this motherboard/socket??
2) how do i find out the exact model of motherboard??
3) and am i correct in thinking that the brown port above PCI ports would be an AGP??

bought the computer PC world (yes i no - sad ) but only got really into computers past months so help me out here!! dont know much about its insides

ok...
1) It depends what socket your P4 uses... so until you specify that i can help you.
2) Im not sure where you can fint the exact model of your mobo.
3) and yes it would be the AGP port.

and if i were you get at least 1 more stick of 256mb ram to make yours 512mb. your hard drive is ok, unless you need more room you can get another 80gb, and set the one with windows and all your files to master and your new one to slave (or you can set up RAID, if you want to). about your processor... if its the right socket, you can get a 3.0ghz instead (that would boost the speed a bit). and if your a gamer, NEVER use integrated grahpics. if you want some cheap ones tell me your budget for your graphics card, and ill try to find one for you (or you can do it yourself and save me the hassle, lol).

all i know bout processor is:

pentium 4
x86 family 15 model 2 stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2390 MHz

anything else you need to know im afraid you'll need to describe how i find it out

many thanks

sorry just read the big paragraph you replied as well!

yeah i hate the integrated graphics, looking at radeon 128mb ones? you reckon this would support the games coming out now? also on the topic of graphics card, my AGP slot, would it support 4x and 8x i dont know the differences between these

rams on its way already (hopefully) went for 2x512.

hd is fine the now.

jay8990 said:
sorry just read the big paragraph you replied as well!

yeah i hate the integrated graphics, looking at radeon 128mb ones? you reckon this would support the games coming out now? also on the topic of graphics card, my AGP slot, would it support 4x and 8x i dont know the differences between these

rams on its way already (hopefully) went for 2x512.

hd is fine the now.

well radeon makes alot of 128mb graphics cards..... 9600xt (has 256mb version too), 9800 pro etc. i reckon they would do fine in like doom3 or farcry maybe even half-life2. about your agp slot, it should support both.
the most improtant thing tho is i need to know your budget for your graphics card, to be able to help you (dont think im nosy or anything :p).

jay8990 said:
all i know bout processor is:

pentium 4
x86 family 15 model 2 stepping 7 GenuineIntel ~2390 MHz

anything else you need to know im afraid you'll need to describe how i find it out

many thanks

well on the ZIF socket, the white thing where your cpu sits on, and it says what kind of socket it is. usually P4's have 430 something and 450 something sockets (depending on the type of core, and age of cpu).

Your in luck i have exactly the same motherboard (in my crappy packard bell)but i'm running a celeron, it's a gigabyte board heres the link: http://tw.giga-byte.com/MotherBoard/Products/Products_GA-8SIMLH.htm.
It supports upto a 3.06 ghz northwood with ht.
I was gonna upgrade mine so i got an fx5700, the agp slot is only 4X but it runs well!!!!

Also is it a packard bell coz thats wot mine is and i also got it from pc world!!!

yeah just had a right good look inside now.
code i found on the board was GA-8SIML Rev1.0

processor socket has mPGA478B written on it

yeah packard bell (hate them) from PC World (never again)

thanks for all the help guys

no worys sorry to hear that somebody else also fell into the trap of packard bell and pcworld, good luck with it!!!!

ok thanks

im looking at sites on the board and it says max CPU P4 up to 2.4GHz?

iv already got 2.4GHz this mean id have to buy a new board if i wnated a faster processor?

Back
Top Bottom