Computer Lockup, Help Please!

crysalis1

Baseband Member
Hey...I just finished building a new machine and after installing Windows XP on it every so often it just locks up on me...No error messages and nothing found in the Event Logs.... Just complete system halt, no response...For this reason, I feel its a hardware related issue...But what specifically i don't now....

The System specs are:

-ASUS P4P800S Socket 478 Intel 848P Chipset 800MHz FSB
-1GB (2x512) Corsair Value Select DDR400
-Intel Pentium 4 2.80GHz 800MHz System Bus 1MB L2 Cache
-Western Digital 40GB 7200 (Primary)
-Western Digital 130GB 7200 (Slave)
-Pine 3D Graphics SiS Chipset Video Card

I've noticed that when i work quickly through the menus it halts....It also does it everytime i try t check the the event log viewer for Applications (Works fine when checking System)....

check the devise manager, see if there is a conflict w/something.

Do you have anti-virus running & is it up-to-date / when you did the fresh install did you go straight to Windows Update to get the latest ( critical updates for the OS ?) this is very important when doing a fresh install.

~mr mixx~ said:
check the devise manager, see if there is a conflict w/something.

Do you have anti-virus running & is it up-to-date / when you did the fresh install did you go straight to Windows Update to get the latest ( critical updates for the OS ?) this is very important when doing a fresh install.

Yeah...All of this was done....The problem still persists....Are there any known issues with any of the parts I bought? I checked my cpu temperature and its running at an average of 110 F with the case temperature at a constant 93.2 F.

Do you have windows servise pack 2 installed & if so did you install it correctly, some people install this incorrectly & it causes some programs not to work.

That case temp is a tad warm. I guess continue to check software first, but you might want to invest in some (better) case fans.

Check your bios and choose default values which are moderate. then tweek it, Lockups can be attributed to improper bios settings and to many programs at boot.

The problems were there prior to installing SP2...So i know that can't be the issue....In regards to the temperature, based on what Asus says thats an alright temperature, but i know that still can be the cause...All my CMOS settings are set to default and I made sure to upgrade all my drivers.....But it keeps on halting....

Do any of you think it can be a hardware incompatability issue?? :confused:

Thank you for the feedback so far, it helps alot.. :)

check the devise manager to see if there is a conflict somewhere....if all is good.

boot-up to safe mode w/out networking, and do a defrag of the hhd....then empty the pre-fetch folder.

I think its a video card issue...I switched out my video card and its working fine now.....The only think i notice now is that the screen freezes for a sec and then returns....The video card i have on it now is little old so maybe if i get a new one..My problem will be fixed....

...Lets hope I'm right....

Thanks to all you guys and your help..... :)

Back
Top Bottom