Installing 98 Over XP

Dart340

Solid State Member
Hi I have an old Kayak XAs. It had 98 on it and I recently put XP on it since then the Integrated sound card wont work. Since I dont use this computer for newer programs I would like to put 98 back on it. Iam having trouble getting 98 to install. Could someone tell me how to get 98 back? Thanks, Kyle.

You can't just install 98 over a newer OS, u will have to reofrmat I think, then install it...

When I start it up with my startup disk and I get to the command prompt and I type format c:\ did says "bad command....." also when i try to go into d:.. my CD drive it says bad command as well.. What Am i doing wrong? THanks, Kyle.

I tried that before didn't work but I tried It again and no go still. What do you guys think could be wrong?

Hmmm.....strange.....

Make a windows 98 bootdisk, if u havent got 1, go to bootdisk.com, and download 1...

Restart your comp. with the boot disk in the a: drive, and start the comp. with cd rom support,

when u get to the a:/ prompt type in

format c:

If that doesnt work at the a: prompt try typing in c:/ first then when u get to the c:/ prompt type in

format c:

Should work

If you installed Win Xp over Win 98 as an Upgrade..you have the option to revert back to Win 98.....Under Add & Remove Programs you should find the option to uninstall Win XP... This will return your computer to have it was prior to the upgrade.....Now, this option only exists when you upgrade to Win XP...If you performed a clean install of Win XP then you won't have this option...

Back
Top Bottom