Ad-Hoc setup problem

ksb007

Baseband Member
For a class project, we are trying to set up an ad-hoc network using 5 or 6 computers. Of course these computers need to be able to communicate with each other, even if they are out of range of the computer they are trying to connect to, they will just multi hop from a computer that is in range of both computers. Our problem is, say we have 3 computers set up. Computer one has connection to the internet, through a wired NIC. It also has a second wireless NIC with IP 192.168.0.1. Computer 2 has a wireless NIC and is in range of Computer 1. Computer 2 setup like this. IP - 192.168.0.11, Gateway - 192.168.0.1. Computer 3 is out of range of computer 1 but in range of computer 2. Computer 3 has a wireless NIC setup as follows. IP - 192.168.0.12, Gateway - 192.168.0.11. All three have subnet 255.255.255.0. All three are using the same Wireless network with SSID - MY. All three computers have routing enabled and all three are running winXP.

Problem:

Computer 2 can ping both Computer 1 and Computer 3. Computer 1 cannot ping computer 3 and computer 3 cannot ping computer 1. Both computer 1 and 3 can ping computer 2. Computer 2 has internet access through computer 1, and computer 1 has internet access of course. Computer 3 has no internet access.

Solution (In Theory):

The problem we think we are having is, for routing to work there has to be different networks, because a router forwards traffic to different networks. So if three computers are on the same network then computer two will not route to computer three because it assumes that computer 1 will send directly to computer 3. Is there anyway to set up two different interfaces for one NIC in Windows. I know it is possible in UNIX as well as Win Server versions. Or, is there any other solution to this problem, besides simply making proxy servers to send whatever traffic is on port 80 to the computer that requested it.

Thanks for all help!

Yeah, putting them all on the same subnet, gateway won't work because they are acting like routers. Routers, route internet traffic between different networks. If you send something to one network from another then the router will forward it, but if you are on the same network as the router and try to forward through the router to the same network, it won't work because routers don't forward packets to its own network.

Thanks for the reply.

We have decided to use two ip's on the nics and just set up different networks for every two computers. That way, the computers will always be routing to another network.

why you need that kinda of redundancy?? is this a home based network???

that answer kidna came out wrong btw. i meant soemthing else but now since I got cuaght up in teh php mess I forgot about some of your question. oh well. its solveed.

Dell_ate_my_dog said:
why you need that kinda of redundancy??
that answer kidna came out wrong btw. i meant soemthing else but now since I got cuaght up in teh php mess I forgot about some of your question. oh well. its solveed.

Back
Top Bottom