Big networking problem.

scrippman

Beta member
Hey. I was helping my friend fix up his computer a little (it was bogged down with spyware and nonessential programs running at startup) I was also going to defragment but he said that it doesn't work cuz he's tried and it just stayed at 1% for over a day.

At any rate, his internet connection was working fine through most of the process, but when i was nearly finished uninstalling stuff he no longer uses from the Add/Remove Programs, I tried to get online and it wouldn't connect. I rebooted and it still didn't connect. His brother's computer which is going through the same router is still working fine but his does not work. I've even plugged the cable modem direct into his computer but it doesn't work. When connected to the router and with his IP manually configured (as opposed to the DHCP the router normally uses) I can ping both his brother's computer and the router itself but i can't access the router's HTML setup page or any outside IPs. I've updated his NIC drivers, reinstalled the NIC. Changed about every TCP/IP setting I can and still nothing. Am I missing something? Please help!

Nick

(P.S. He's running Win XP home on a HP Pavilion)

I'm pretty sure you accidently deleted some kind of important system file when you were cleaning out the hard drive. That happens to me quite a bit, because i always get a bunch of unorganized programming projects, music, and school work all over the place, so when i go and delete it, all of a sudden something crashes. Your best bet would be either to reinstall every driver for the system, or try something like, check every process that his brother is running through the task mananger, and find out which task isn't running on this computer. That might be the link to the problem. If all else fails, backup all the data and reformat the system.

PS. Nice timing, you put your post up at 1 AM. :D

try using the reapir option instead of clean reformatting if files are deleted....

reboot your system and insert the windows xp cd....
choose the repair installtion when you get the the options and it should bring back your TCP/IP networking files!

Thx guys. I checked out his computer a bit and found out that HP did the first intelligent think i think i've ever seen them do. His computer was prebuilt with two partitions. One of them is a recovery partition which contains all the vital drivers and everything essential to run the HP Recovery Utility. Ran it (took two tries since he prematurely rebooted his comp one time because he thought it locked up) and he's back online now :) If anyone else ever has a problem with their HP machines, i highly reccomend this. It put everything back essentially the same way without the printer or soundcard installed. :) Thx again for the tips.

scrippman said:
Thx guys. I checked out his computer a bit and found out that HP did the first intelligent think i think i've ever seen them do. His computer was prebuilt with two partitions. One of them is a recovery partition which contains all the vital drivers and everything essential to run the HP Recovery Utility. Ran it (took two tries since he prematurely rebooted his comp one time because he thought it locked up) and he's back online now :) If anyone else ever has a problem with their HP machines, i highly reccomend this. It put everything back essentially the same way without the printer or soundcard installed. :) Thx again for the tips.
Glag you got it working, well done to HP!

or just use the reinstall disk for the modem. That would be much easier, thats if u didn't lose it.

Back
Top Bottom