think i might have a virus

cmtwister

Beta member
Possible virus - a program keeps trying to load

Even if you can't solve the problem, but can shed some light, please do.

My computer, which is running WinXP, seems to be trying to open a new application every 5 seconds. No application opens. This seems like some sort of virus. It is really slowing my computer down.

I have scanned the computer with Symantec Anti-Virus and Lavasoft Adaware in safe mode. Nothing is found.

When I go to task mode these three processes seem to be alternating.
iexplore.exe - i never open iexplore, and this appears then disappears
hostx.exe - two instances of this keep on opening
docc.exe - this cannot seem to be terminated by the task manager.

Can anyone who knows about this please help?

Thanks,
Colin

this is either a virus, or your comp. is being hacked: i would open up task manager & shut down I.E 1st.

it could also be other spyware, have you tried all the spyware mentioned on this forum?

then after you run those, i would boot-up to safe mode, then start/run/ type "msconfig" w/out the quotes.

then go to startup tab, & uncheck any of the things you mentioned poping up. (iexplore.exe/hostx.exe/docc.exe) uncheck these in there.

then after doing that, check the registry: run folder, and the run once folder, to see if any of those mentioned above are in there....if they are delete them from it, that should take care of it.
here is the thread for the spyware programs:
http://www.computerforums.org/showthread.php?t=3087

yes seems like spyware, could be getting hacked but i doubt a hacker would be connected to his computer this long and keep opening up ie. Close ie and then the other go into safe mode and check ur computer with nav

Back
Top Bottom