Dns

Mitchell1

In Runtime
I use Zoneedit.com for my DNS but it only gives me 2 dns servers. I want to make sure my site is up 100% of the time so does anyone know were I can get more DNS backup servers?

Zoneedit.com is a google whack!

this might help

when you sign up you are given two name servers, your address is updated with these servers, and then replicated with all DNS servers around the world, -so practically every DNS server (within limits) has your address listed for easy recovery.

I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of servers your site updates with, a simple whois search would reveal to you that a large webcompany (oneandone.co.uk) also only has two nameservers!

OK so two is fine for me. Is there anything else that you can tell me about DNS because I would like to learn more about it. And I want my site to be up as close to 100% as possible. Is there anything that I can do to help?

dnsstuff.com and dell4me.com enter that in on dnsstuff and see how many friggin dns errors it has!

root said:
I wouldn't worry too much about the amount of servers your site updates with, a simple whois search would reveal to you that a large webcompany (oneandone.co.uk) also only has two nameservers!

Of course those two nameservers are most likely load-balanced clusters. It's not exactly the same thing as just having two single boxes running your nameservers, which is not going to give you 100% uptime. If either box fails, half your visitors will at least experience a significant delay.

I do not get a huge amount of visistors but I wish that I would be more.

I was wondering. I was told at one time that I have to have a static IP to run a DNS server. Is that true?

Back
Top Bottom