shortcuts and favorites disabled

b17sam

Beta member
I use Windows 98 with Internet Explorer. I installed Opera as an alternate browser, tried it for a short while, then uninstalled it successfully. No more Opera files. The Internet Explorer operates well now, however when I try to create a shortcut on the desktop or bookmark a favorite, I receive the Program Not Found box with a message stating Windows cannot find OPERA.EXE This program is needed for opening files of type 'URL Hypertext Transfer Protocol'. Would appreciate a solution for this problem. Thank you.

b17sam
www.b17sam.com

Sounds like your default browser is still set to opera. I think you go to Tools, and options, then the programs tab and check that IE is your default browser. Next time you open it, it should prompt you about switching it...

To: The Other One
Thank you for your reply. I checked as you suggested and my default browser was IE. I still have the problem. Any other suggestion?
b17sam

Sounds like when opera was installed it put in a registry command to update operas favorites along with the explorer. So windows is looking for opera.exe to do it and errors out-its gone. Id try searching the registry for all links to opera. Or do a system restore prior to the removal of opera.
Or reinstall opera.

Back
Top Bottom