Need Some Quick Help PLEASE!!!

matthiasj

Baseband Member
i'm new, and need some help, tonight, i was at my girlfriends house tonight and was workin on her computer. I had to format her hard drive, because her computer was messed up bad. She has windows 98 Pro, and i put in the disc in the D:, and had the startup disc in the a:. When the command promt came up, after i selected start the computer with CD-ROM support, i typed "format c:" after it was done, i figured i could restart the computer, and the disc would automaticly start, and i could install the OS. But it sent me back to the command promt, and i dont know what command will start the windows 98 CD in the CD rom drive to install.

Sorry i posted on the wrong forum, but this one has the most people viewing, and i need some help

E:/setup.exe
E:setup.exe
sothing like that. of course you'll need to change the E to whatever the drive letter is. but I know the file is called setup.exe

Try configuring the bios so it wont recognize the hard drive as a boot device. Forcing it to load the cd rom first.

Yeah, somewhere in your bios you should find something like Boot Order. simply change CD DRIVE to the top of the list, and restart. It should start working.

thanks for the replys. I have a few options i'm going to try, i'll post back later and tell you how it went.

Whenever I try to read a CD, I get the message "CDR101 not ready reading drive D, Abort, Retry, Fail" (D: Representing your CD-ROM drive letter)

Yeah make sure the CD is working right. if that doesn't help you, then you're probably in trouble.

Back
Top Bottom