Hard Drives

AJPrus

Beta member
I am building a computer, and I was wondering the best manufacturer of Hard Drives?

Any Suggestions?

What are your priorities? Speed, reliability, quietness? Are you going for SCSI? Raid? How much storage?

The big players are Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital and Hitachi.

Western Digital seems to be the fastest drives out for the most part, but I hear they get quite hot.

Seagate drives are probably the most quiet and reliable. You might pay a bit more for them, but I'd recommend them.

I've had loads of problems with Maxtor, but that seems to be tied with their 30G and 40G drives. I have a 20G and 60G from them and both of those seem to be ok...

western digital are the fastest, but they heat up bad and they arent really stable. maxtor is good all-around. seagate is slower, but more stable and quieter.

Western digital are the slowest! Maxtor are the fastest but very hott (thats why they die so you need good cooling, but they have very very good warrenty) And seagate are realy for silent freaks, but maxtor has a tool to decrease speed, but itl still kick a seagate and make it last longer :D

camers said:
Western digital are the slowest! Maxtor are the fastest but very hott (thats why they die so you need good cooling, but they have very very good warrenty) And seagate are realy for silent freaks, but maxtor has a tool to decrease speed, but itl still kick a seagate and make it last longer :D

Actually when it comes to the Western Digital Raptor, its way faster than any normal maxtor. and seagate is good for normal usage.

alvino said:
Actually when it comes to the Western Digital Raptor, its way faster than any normal maxtor. and seagate is good for normal usage.

other companies has 10k rpm hdds too btw
basically it all comes down to preference

hmmm well ive never thought about hitachi, except the fact that they make the mini 4gb hdd for the ipod mini and creative zen muvo :) my friends dad works in that division lol, i hear they make good LCD monitor tho....

im thinking of buying a raptor one, like a 10k RPM n shtufff, im thinking 36 gigs, ima just keep my OS and games and programs on it, so which company and which one shud i buy? if you can please post a link

Back
Top Bottom