ASP/Database

Lord Kalthorn said:
Can't admit to hearing about Oracle? But it sounds good. Obviously though - I hate it because its against the Microsoft one ;)

MSSQL 2005 is damn good, very good. I can't test the scability of course - I just don't have the time to invent masses of random data but I have been testing it and fiddling about for my Bulletin Board Project - so that will be fun :D
Oracle is a very good program.

Check www.DBForums.com

Lord Kalthorn said:
Can't admit to hearing about Oracle? But it sounds good. Obviously though - I hate it because its against the Microsoft one ;)

MSSQL 2005 is damn good, very good. I can't test the scability of course - I just don't have the time to invent masses of random data but I have been testing it and fiddling about for my Bulletin Board Project - so that will be fun :D
Umm I'd hold back if I were you, fair enough if you play about with the Beta releases then you'll have a good handle on the interfaces, but without hugh amounts of data, or access to more advanced materials the headstart you'll get on the administrative competition (assuming you'd want a dba job) will be about 1 hour (for all those months investigating)...

Scalability doesn't just include the masses of random data, but also how well the servers integrate with each other in server pools and clusters. there are very few large organisations that use a database on the merit of it's scalability without using server pooling techniques, after a while it becauses a case that the database engine is fast enough, but the processing speed / RAM / /HD access times / network just isn't good enough to keep up and/or move data efficiently.

Also I read over the weekend, at the edtech in australia (that happened in august -so the review was more than a little late) the release data for SQL server 2005 has been pushed back from spring to very late autumn / winter... and even then they don't want to be held to a release date, prefering to say "it'll be released when it's ready".

MSDN Library has some good stuff on it; and that Board David recommended looks good.

Lol, every release date should be like that! Don't want software released before it ready :p

I thought that, whilst it gives the anti-MS something else to shout about it would be a lot better if all software was not restricted to severe deadlines, sometimes resultnig in the resease of 'botched' software that is full of bugs.

If every software company had the balls (and finances) to say, "look it'll be ready when it's ready, and you're just going to have to wait" there would be a lot less buggy exploitable software out on the market.

Yeah - if you ask me I'd be ok with them doing that with Longhorn. We've waited this long, anybody who matters will have a Beta 2 which will practically work anyway - and it will involve less public problems later on.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Lol; nah. I will be using MSSQL a lot in the next few months (as you will notice I won't be using your MySQL Databases, which you'll probably like, but...) :p

Then I will truely know if the price tag is worth it. Which I'm sure it is - they use MSSQL on Terabyte Databases; 2005 even has general support for Terabyte Databases. I imagine they'll be using it for MSN Search when they finish it off :D

So it has its uses. And is brilliantly intergrated into the best web design language available - ASPX! :D So how can you go wrong using MSSQL?

Most normal people do not have that big of databases that they would need that. Mysql is free and it works great if you do not have huge databases. I also know a site that has big databases and they use MYSQL.

Back
Top Bottom