AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ah, ok, whatever, Dell.

I'll file that one under "useless and absurd comments with no supporting evidence."

I compile apps all the time under Linux and it works fine.

well they always complain about my C++ compiler verison, or version of thius, version of that, so I have to go update 10 packages and install like 10 more to get alot of multimedia apps to get going, they have complie errors, they keeb complaining about syntax that is fine I even looked it up in teh C++ book I have and its right and that complier is smokin somethin.

also its sloooooooooooooooooooow!!!

Ah yes; but thats on the theory you have the source code - if you don't. You need a 32- to 64-bit compiler. Which basically does what you said to do - without allowing you to see the Code.

Lord Kalthorn said:
Ah yes; but thats on the theory you have the source code - if you don't. You need a 32- to 64-bit compiler. Which basically does what you said to do - without allowing you to see the Code.

Unfortunately such a compiler would be utterly useless in practice, as there would be no performance benefit.

Dell_ate_my_dog said:
well they always complain about my C++ compiler verison, or version of thius, version of that, so I have to go update 10 packages and install like 10 more to get alot of multimedia apps to get going, they have complie errors, they keeb complaining about syntax that is fine I even looked it up in teh C++ book I have and its right and that complier is smokin somethin.

also its sloooooooooooooooooooow!!!

Yes, you have to have your system properly configured before you compile something.

It sounds like you might be using RedHat or another RPM based distribution?

Compiling on these systems can indeed be a challenge, I would recommend a better distribution if you need to compile software yourself.

I don't know what you mean about it being slow. GCC is fairly fast.

GCC also has very few bugs, if you think you found a syntax problem and "looked it up in a book" there's a 99.999999% chance that it's you who made the mistake, and not the programmers of GCC, who could have written the book.

nope not my mistake and the book was a learn c++ in 24 hours book by sams publishing.

It was in redhate and debian I tested it in.

If you think you found a bug, submit it to the GCC team, and they will either fix it, or (99.999999% of the time) explain why it is not a bug.

There are bugs in gcc. However, I've never personally found one.

I've found a lot of things that looked like bugs in gcc, until I realized it was my mistake. That's how programming is.

If you'd like to start a new thread (since this is wildly off-topic) and post the code in question, we can look at it there. Otherwise, I'm not even close to convinced that you found a bug in GCC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom