lets just say...video game

Darcwolf777

Baseband Member
alright now this might be a bit of a challenge for all you geniuses out there but I was wondering if you could explain somthing to me...in lamens terms (thats the hard part hehe).

Lets just say that for the next oh...10 years I wanted to spend most of my free time making a video game or somthing like it. Im aiming for somthing along the lines of or between what youll find at (www.tildruin.com) and (www.thedragonkeeper.com/V5/index.html). Lets also say that I have only gotten as far as turning on a computer and have no idea where to start or what to do. What books should I read? What programs would I use? What kind of system would i need to work with? Could it be your average home pc with XP and 18 gigs? I think not but the point is I dont know so any information you guys could pass along would be greatly appreciated thanks!

Rydair

Probably should try and contact people from those sites to see if they could help you out.

...thats it...? No great books to recomend no ideas for college courses nothing? I really dont think a company is going to respond in depth to some kids email on how to program. Ive used these forums before and you guys have been great please help me out here.

I would suggest learning Java. That is popular for game coding and you can use the quake engine for freeware games for free so you would just need to load some textures into it etc.

Good luck!

Yeh, contact the games guys! the encourage it. At the games festival a few months ago here they had meetings with EA and how to make games and get into the industry, just pop an email.

start learning the easiest game programming language BASIC. its the easiest one and then move on up. C, Java etc.

Yeah java is really nice. Also it would be good to learn some basic graphics program, anything from simple photoshop to more advanced Flash animation. These can be really helpful.

While Java is good its not always the best to write games in because it can be incredibly slow running. If anyone remembers Chrome and how slow that could be, that was due to the Java programming.

Back
Top Bottom