AMD or Intel?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Computer Engineer's KNOW the truth.

Nemesis said:
Yep dont the stupid mistake by buying a pentium, a waste of time :p

Obviously you have never had a P4 HT, if you has you wouldn't think AMD's are better, anyone who uses, or has had both, Always pick the P4. AMD fan's are usually people who cant afford a good P4 HT system.

Now owner of 2 P4 HT's and 11 AMD's (folding rigs)

The price beats the p4's by far. I have sued many intel systems but i notice a better system while on my amd's

camers said:
The price beats the p4's by far. I have sued many intel systems but i notice a better system while on my amd's

When I purchased my 3.2 P4 HT, it cost the same as buying a 3200 AMD64, system for system.

About a month later I bought a 3200 AMD64 and built it for my brother.

System comparison both running on air cooling.

AMD64 overclocked by 10%

Intel overclocked to 3.76Ghz

The Intel therefore beats the AMD64 in EVERY application INCLUDING games, for the same money. My case rests.

What you ideally want is a compiler to turn 32-bit code into 64-bit code - so you can run 32-bit applications on fully 64-bit Processors. But, of course, such things aren't easy to produce on a large scale unless Microsoft built it into Windows Longhorn or Blackcomb.

Lord Kalthorn said:
What you ideally want is a compiler to turn 32-bit code into 64-bit code - so you can run 32-bit applications on fully 64-bit Processors. But, of course, such things aren't easy to produce on a large scale unless Microsoft built it into Windows Longhorn or Blackcomb.

What's really needed is to leave the old architecture behind and start from scratch. If the computer industry had done this many years ago, I'm sure the machines we would be using today, would be far faster than what we have.

All the usual applications would have to be re-written, but in the long run it would be worth it.

Anyone who can remember the Transputer from the 1980's know that it had the potential to far outperform other designs and indeed, parallel processing is on the horizon again.

Anyone who's interested, here's a couple of links to transputer sites.

http://www.classiccmp.org/transputer/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transputer

It would be a big thing to do; and after reading that it would be worth it - but it would need Microsoft and Intel and nVidia working all hours of the day for a few years doing almost nothing else just to get it working. Then it would take years for everybody to move on; while the old stuff needs support from the original companies.

There just isn't enough force from the market to give the companies a good reason to do it.

There's no such thing as and no need for a "32-bit to 64-bit" compiler. All you need is access to the source code, and you can recompile the programs yourself. That's why Linux is running comfortably on 64-bit processors in native 64-bit mode today. Just recompile and go.

Ah, the beauty of having the source code :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom