Computer Networking

Steven11

BSOD
Does anyone know what i would need for a 3 computer network. It all will need wires and the cheapest possible stuff.

Thanks
Steven

well what kind of internet connection do you have?

that's where it starts.

usually with a cable or dsl connection you simply get a Router, some category 5/5e/6 cable one cable for each pc(any of those'll work.), and soem Network Interface Cards (NICs). and of course an network enabled OS with the Transmission Control Protocol/Internetwoking Protocol (TCP/IP) standard enabled.

Then you would follow the directions provided by the hardware manufacturer(s) to get setup. Nics are easy to install in your PCI slot, for windows it's plug-n-play so your card is autodetected and If Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol or DHCP is used in your network, it will automatically give you an IP address. However, I do not recommend this for home setups unless you got lots of pcs. windows xp will soemtimes give you the wrong default gateway which dotn match your router!

For Example:
when you get a linksys "network everyewhere" series router you would need to have it setup as a gateway instead of a router or you will not get an outside IP.
also when you get this make sure to hook it up the the "internet"port not the first port labeled "port one" linksys routers are a peice of cake!!

Internet connectivity setup for windows xp:::::::

go to "network connections"
go to the connection

make sure that it has gotten the right IPs if it is setup as defualt for DHCP
if not you may have to statically assign an IP
do this by right clicking on that connection and going to properties,

now go to TCP/IP protocol
then click properties.

now go to the address section and enter the values that you need.
(for help on this go to the router setup on linksys network everywhere routers or linksys in genreal go to the IP confi address and then look at the settings there and the IP range)
then you'll enter these addresses in there:
for example if my router had the IP of:
your IP address Id select would be: 112.110.100.1

the subnet mask is inputted for you:

the defualt gateway is your router's IP. which in this case would be 112.110.1.1

and then look for the DNS servers on your routers setup....

to make this easier linksys gives you a setup cd!!!

To get online with Internet explorer you'd go to your internet explorer properties and go to connections, then lan settings,

there you'd check the "automatic settings" checkbox and click ok.

then click ok to close the rest.

to share files all you would need to do is to right click on "my computer" and go to computer name and choose a workgroup name for your home network shoose soemthing creative and easy to remember keep it short.

then do the same on teh other computers!

next after work group configuration right click on teh folder(s) you wish to share and go to the properties page and go to teh sharing tab and click "I want to share this folder..." and then click ok.

Now youve shoudlheve gotten the folder shared and your network should be up and running

I fyou need more information pelase let me know!

You're making it sound complicated.
Get a Router/Lan HUB and stick all 3 lan cables in the "Downlink" port of the Router/HUB (if your cable is crossover, put it in uplink. if you dont know if the cable is crossover, put it in downlink and test it). After you stuck 3 network/lan cables in there, stick the other sides of them into a LAN port (just look at your computer, you should find it). A light should turn on. If it doesnt, maybe you put it in the wrong port on the HUB. Now restart all your computers, and see go to "My Network Places" (if you have XP). Then click Workgroup computers and see what computers can see who's. If there is a computer who cant be found or cant find anyone, they have to do the Manual IP thing (i think dell_ate_my_dog tells you that, if not, someone will i hope). Then you're done.

And you don't need an internet connection in order to network three computers. If you plan to share an internet connection then you will need a router. Also, you should go wireless. It's cheap enough and you don't have to deal with all those damn wires.

Just look at the back of network hub box at your local computer store. It will pretty much show you how and what you need to set up your network.

Good luck!

Captain.Ash said:
You're making it sound complicated.
Get a Router/Lan HUB and stick all 3 lan cables in the "Downlink" port of the Router/HUB (if your cable is crossover, put it in uplink. if you dont know if the cable is crossover, put it in downlink and test it). After you stuck 3 network/lan cables in there, stick the other sides of them into a LAN port (just look at your computer, you should find it). A light should turn on. If it doesnt, maybe you put it in the wrong port on the HUB. Now restart all your computers, and see go to "My Network Places" (if you have XP). Then click Workgroup computers and see what computers can see who's. If there is a computer who cant be found or cant find anyone, they have to do the Manual IP thing (i think dell_ate_my_dog tells you that, if not, someone will i hope). Then you're done.

i have an uplink port on my router but i dont use it and i dunnno whats it for, what does it do?

Back
Top Bottom