ASP/Database

odd_foo

Beta member
I have an issue, that I cannot figure out what to do with.. Here's the deal.. we are trying to launch a community portal with business listings and such... http://www.pro-fyle.com/project/sl/ is the link.

What we want to do is I think simple, but hard to create... We want to be able to make a database in Access, and pull certain categories according to the link set up... ie.

..../project/sl/index.asp?category=business&listingID=001

this would open the index.asp page, but only this time with the content directly pulled onto the page from the database in question...

If someone can help me create this, it would be greatly appreciated since none of use here have strong knowledge of asp, or any programming language for that matter and we want to learn..

Thank You much in advanced

Nick

MySQL is cool; but if you'll probably get much better connectivity from an MSSQL Database. Access is not really up to what you're asking of it in that situation.

Lol; nah. I will be using MSSQL a lot in the next few months (as you will notice I won't be using your MySQL Databases, which you'll probably like, but...) :p

Then I will truely know if the price tag is worth it. Which I'm sure it is - they use MSSQL on Terabyte Databases; 2005 even has general support for Terabyte Databases. I imagine they'll be using it for MSN Search when they finish it off :D

So it has its uses. And is brilliantly intergrated into the best web design language available - ASPX! :D So how can you go wrong using MSSQL?

Just.....mysql very good......not much point in mssql. Anyway, i bet you ms are running linux boxes with modmono, mysql and apache :p

I'd bet they're running some boxes with that - cause they need so much server power they can't own it all - and they can't control their suppliers if they want to use it, can they :D

But I can assure you - they are not using MySQL; all their databases would be in their Web-Centre on their Windows Servers with MSSQL. :D They probably don't use ModMono either - because thats for ASPX and Microsoft sites are now mostly on MSPX, so they have probably got their own Linux to MSPX Program on them.

MySQL is free, so long as any improvements you make are also released from free.
there is a commecrical license available from MySQL incase you don't feel like sharing.

On the whole MS-SQL is a better database than MySQL (from a technical perspective as a DBA and from a technical specs aspect).
MS-SQL is easier to configure and runs faster, it's more scalable,
However there are known bugs including massive memory leaks that can cause time out errors in ODBC drivers if not properly addressed.
MS-SQL has extensive (and secure) suport for stored procedures, (which greatly reduce the bandwidth used in each connection.)MySQL is only just developing that suport now in version 5 (available in unstable release).

MS-SQL has better suport for connection pooling, and the management tools are much easier to use. -I'm yet to try the new SQL2005 (codename YUKON), but I feel good things are coming in the way of the XML configured services in the same style as IIS6. Alowing much easier managed services accross server farms. (if they appear)...

So MS-SQL, better support, better scalability, easier usability.
MySQL, free, portable...

It's fair to say that if you wanted a truly good, easy to configure, fast (Hugely scalable), extensive support portable to all platforms.
You'd use Oracle. -It really is that simple
I don't have any speed comparissons but oracle 10g running on redhat enterprise linux runs better than MS-SQL 2000 on windows 2000. and better than MySQL on any platform.

Can't admit to hearing about Oracle? But it sounds good. Obviously though - I hate it because its against the Microsoft one ;)

MSSQL 2005 is damn good, very good. I can't test the scability of course - I just don't have the time to invent masses of random data but I have been testing it and fiddling about for my Bulletin Board Project - so that will be fun :D

Back
Top Bottom