Need memory help guys

Jay2020

Beta member
Hey all yeah im a newbie round here, so be gentle!

Im buying a second hand computer to "only use broadband with"

Its really old. An AMD 600mhz! as i say, its JUST GOING TO BE USED FOR BROADBAND. its got 64mb ram and i was wondering would be performance speed pick up a lot of if i upgraded the ram to say, 128mb. I cant afford a new pc unfortunately. HELP!

Yeah, I'd say bump it up to at least 128, maybe 256M. If you don't have much else on that machine, and run something like 98, even 64 would do well. I've had 33MHz computers on broadband with a whole 16M ram, and they did alright ;)

The problem you have is, once you have all the protection software running, Anti-virus, anti spyware, Firewall etc. They use more than your 64Mb before you have chance to do anything. Really you need 256 or as near to it as you can afford.

And as mentioned above, go for win 98 as it needs less memory and resources.

Something else I just thought of that might be useful is a program called deepfreeze.

http://www.faronics.com/html/product.asp

It cost about $25, but it would be well worth it if you don't plan to do anything else on that comp. Basically, it makes a copy of your computer after you install it. Then, every time you shut down your computer, it reverts back to this copy. There for, there is no need for virus scans, spyware protechtion, or anything like that. Really nifty, but you CAN NOT save anything on the computer without disabling the prog and restarting the computer.

Just a little side note I thought I might throw in. That comp wouldn't do too bad with virus scans and all, but this would keep it for slowing down...

The_Other_One said:
Something else I just thought of that might be useful is a program called deepfreeze.

http://www.faronics.com/html/product.asp

It cost about $25, but it would be well worth it if you don't plan to do anything else on that comp. Basically, it makes a copy of your computer after you install it. Then, every time you shut down your computer, it reverts back to this copy. There for, there is no need for virus scans, spyware protechtion, or anything like that. Really nifty, but you CAN NOT save anything on the computer without disabling the prog and restarting the computer.

Just a little side note I thought I might throw in. That comp wouldn't do too bad with virus scans and all, but this would keep it for slowing down...

Didn't know about that one, looks really good. Could save me hours of work. Cheers

Back
Top Bottom