Struggling with Wired/Wireless Home Network

Lookie_Mabutt

Beta member
Hi, I've currently got two desktops connected via a switch to an ADSL router, one running XP Home (P4 1.6) and one on XP Pro (P3 1.0). We just bought a Toshiba A70 P4 laptop on XP Home, with wireless network capability. At the same time the salesman suggested a Belkin wireless desktop PCI network card to fit to one of the desktops to act as the connection point for the laptop to the network. I've set this up on the P3, and it says it is running at 11Mbps, and connection status says it is sending packets. The laptop can find the home network via wireless and connection status also says it is sending packets. Neither machine says it is receiving packets though and I'm not sure why. I would have thought if the laptop can identify the network, then it should be able to communicate backwards and forwards between machine. I'm not sure that the IP settings are correct, although they are pretty much the same for both machines, apart from the Laptop having a different IP address. Should the default gateway for the Laptop be the IP address of the machine with the Wireless card fitted, or that of the router? Any help would be much appreciated.

ok. start over and get yourself a wireless router and have it act as an access point. those setups are too awkward and may not provide enough security and control and its a mess.

Thanks for the advice, I think unless something happens in the meantime, I'll head back to the store and replace the card with a router capable of wired and wireless access as you suggest. I've now plugged the laptop into my switch along with the other 2 comps and its running fine on the network. Shame the setup for the wireless part wasn't that easy :(

yah you cna have it in adhoc mode but its very tricky to get it so share the net access right. its a very odd setup.

Dell_ate_my_dog said:
yah you cna have it in adhoc mode but its very tricky to get it so share the net access right. its a very odd setup.

Thats odd that the salesperson would offer you a wireless card over a Wireless Router...I bet he just wanted to sell the product wit hthe higher profit.... Regardless its definately a smarter, more stable, and easier setup if you purchase a Router with wireless capability.....I would definately recommmend a Netgear WGR614 wireless Router....It's 802.11g compliant which means you can connect at 54Mbps.....Well, as long as your lappy's wireless card is 802.11g compliant.....Which for the most it is.....

Have to agree with your comments. On Thursday we went and spent a couple of hours at the store with the technicians working on the laptop and PC, and guess what...no luck, with exactly the same problem we had at home - the laptop being able to see the network but not able to communicate with it. Anyway after all that we gave up and swapped the wireless card for a Belkin 802.11b/g wired and wireless router (takes 4 wired and 64 wireless PC's). Setup was really easy and we have had no problems connecting with either wired or wireless since, so pretty happy at this stage :).
Thanks for the help, much appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom